State mining museum in Mariposa robbed
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The California State Mining and Mineral Museum in Mariposa was robbed Friday night, according to law enforcement officials.
Mariposa County Sheriff's Deputies said the robbery was reported around 4 p.m. but officials were not able to locate the suspects described by witnesses after arriving on the scene.
Authorities now estimate robbers stole about $2 million worth of minerals from a Mariposa museum.
The Mining and Mineral Museum contains examples of rare and valuable minerals from around California and the world, including gold. Parts of the collection date back more than a century.
crimetracker, robbery, mariposa, mariposa county, local, rick montanez
- Lilly 2 fire in Yosemite Lakes burns one home 7 min ago
- Hundreds of UC Merced students receive their degrees 45 min ago
- Investigators look into Merced house fire
- El Tapatio fire prompts two business to evacuate in Fresno 59 min ago
- Visalia PD cracks down on underage drinking
- Welty's final commencement at Fresno State
- Connecticut commuter train crash: 70 injured
- Get the Winning Numbers for Powerball!
- Tornado-ravaged Texas town to start recovery
- Castaic-area brush fire fully contained
- SKorea: NKorea fires 3 short-range missiles
- Ricin letter case: FBI searches WA apartment
- Pacers knock out Knicks with 106-99 win in Game 6
- Chatwood leads Rockies past Giants 10-2
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos