State mining museum in Mariposa robbed
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The California State Mining and Mineral Museum in Mariposa was robbed Friday night, according to law enforcement officials.
Mariposa County Sheriff's Deputies said the robbery was reported around 4 p.m. but officials were not able to locate the suspects described by witnesses after arriving on the scene.
Authorities now estimate robbers stole about $2 million worth of minerals from a Mariposa museum.
The Mining and Mineral Museum contains examples of rare and valuable minerals from around California and the world, including gold. Parts of the collection date back more than a century.
crimetracker, robbery, mariposa, mariposa county, local, rick montanez
- Ryann Jones found guilty of second degree murder 31 min ago
- NorCal teen brain-dead after tonsil surgery
- Obama: 2014 can be breakthrough year for US
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- 2-year-old shot in the thigh in Atwater
- Authorities file charges in Elbow Room fight
- 3 men die in sauna after drinking at Christmas party
- Serial killer missing after good behavior pass to see mom
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport
- Teen shot on Third St. and Kadota Ave in Atwater
- Copper thieves flood Tower District businesses
- Valley experts give advice after Target accounts hacked
- SoCal tour bus crash injures 22, kills 1
- Consumer Watch: Handheld video gaming devices
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos