Injuries reported after Amtrak train derails near Hanford
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- One train car derailed and two other cars were left at a 45 degree angle at 10th Avenue and Kansas Avenue near Hanford, according to the Kings County Fire Department.
The call came in to 911 just before 12:30 p.m. on Monday.
The Kings County Assistant Sheriff said the Amtrak train was traveling south when a collision occurred with a truck on Kansas Avenue near Hanford.
An Amtrak official said there were 169 passengers on the train plus 4 crew members at the time of the crash. The Sheriff's department estimated that 30-50 people suffered injuries. The California Highway Patrol said there were no serious injuries, but one small child was hurt.
About 80 emergency personnel treated victims at the scene, according to the Sheriff's office.
The Adventist Medical Center in Hanford set up a command center, according to a hospital spokesperson.
The train was bound for Bakersfield coming from Oakland.
Uninjured passengers were transported by bus to the Civic Auditorium in Hanford. Those who wished to continue on to Bakersfield were taken by Amtrak bus.
This is not the first time a crash involving an Amtrak train has taken place at this location. In May 2008 a train collided with a truck carrying lemon peels and derailed a train car, injuring about 20 people. Also in August 2007, another crash involving an Amtrak train happened at the same intersection. In that crash, the train was able to slow before hitting a vehicle, but the family inside the car was hospitalized.
kings county, hanford, local
- Group finds 'structurally deficient' bridges in Valley
- Stabbing victim well known in the Tower District
- Fire truck overturns in collision in SE Fresno
- Man arrested for death of baby girl at LNAS
- Quick, long-term fixes in works for Washington bridge 41 min ago
- San Antonio flooding kills 1; 200-plus rescued 57 min ago
- Obama: Nation must do more for fallen heroes 40 min ago
- UK police arrest 3 more men in soldier's slaying 47 min ago
- 5 climbers feared dead on world's 3rd highest peak 42 min ago
- UK zookeeper dies from tiger attack injuries 45 min ago
- Millions march against Monsanto in over 400 cities 30 min ago
- Fresno State's famous sweet corn went on sale
- Are there enough police officers in Visalia?
- Good Sports: Kensuke Tanaka