Injuries reported after Amtrak train derails near Hanford
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- One train car derailed and two other cars were left at a 45 degree angle at 10th Avenue and Kansas Avenue near Hanford, according to the Kings County Fire Department.
The call came in to 911 just before 12:30 p.m. on Monday.
The Kings County Assistant Sheriff said the Amtrak train was traveling south when a collision occurred with a truck on Kansas Avenue near Hanford.
An Amtrak official said there were 169 passengers on the train plus 4 crew members at the time of the crash. The Sheriff's department estimated that 30-50 people suffered injuries. The California Highway Patrol said there were no serious injuries, but one small child was hurt.
About 80 emergency personnel treated victims at the scene, according to the Sheriff's office.
The Adventist Medical Center in Hanford set up a command center, according to a hospital spokesperson.
The train was bound for Bakersfield coming from Oakland.
Uninjured passengers were transported by bus to the Civic Auditorium in Hanford. Those who wished to continue on to Bakersfield were taken by Amtrak bus.
This is not the first time a crash involving an Amtrak train has taken place at this location. In May 2008 a train collided with a truck carrying lemon peels and derailed a train car, injuring about 20 people. Also in August 2007, another crash involving an Amtrak train happened at the same intersection. In that crash, the train was able to slow before hitting a vehicle, but the family inside the car was hospitalized.
kings county, hanford, local
- No time added for killer of Atwater prison guard
- Search continues for Tulare County OIS suspect
- Drop in Valley flu cases
- Senator: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Tiger Cubs make big debut at Fresno Chaffee Zoo
- Crimea's parliament pushes for independence
- California AG promotes bills to reduce truancy
- Vet saves poisoned dog with vodka
- Obama's surprise turn on 'Between Two Ferns'
- Trash dispute apparently led to fatal shooting
- Interpol shows image of 2 Iranians on missing jet
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Robot helps in design of High-Speed Rail
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos