Injuries reported after Amtrak train derails near Hanford
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- One train car derailed and two other cars were left at a 45 degree angle at 10th Avenue and Kansas Avenue near Hanford, according to the Kings County Fire Department.
The call came in to 911 just before 12:30 p.m. on Monday.
The Kings County Assistant Sheriff said the Amtrak train was traveling south when a collision occurred with a truck on Kansas Avenue near Hanford.
An Amtrak official said there were 169 passengers on the train plus 4 crew members at the time of the crash. The Sheriff's department estimated that 30-50 people suffered injuries. The California Highway Patrol said there were no serious injuries, but one small child was hurt.
About 80 emergency personnel treated victims at the scene, according to the Sheriff's office.
The Adventist Medical Center in Hanford set up a command center, according to a hospital spokesperson.
The train was bound for Bakersfield coming from Oakland.
Uninjured passengers were transported by bus to the Civic Auditorium in Hanford. Those who wished to continue on to Bakersfield were taken by Amtrak bus.
This is not the first time a crash involving an Amtrak train has taken place at this location. In May 2008 a train collided with a truck carrying lemon peels and derailed a train car, injuring about 20 people. Also in August 2007, another crash involving an Amtrak train happened at the same intersection. In that crash, the train was able to slow before hitting a vehicle, but the family inside the car was hospitalized.
kings county, hanford, local
- Deputies shoot, kill suspect west of Fresno
- Man shot in head while sitting in Fresno apartment
- Man arrested for exposing himself in front of kids
- Captain of sunken SKorean ferry, 2 crew arrested 58 min ago
- 13th body pulled from snow in Everest avalanche
- Strong earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea 52 min ago
- Merced County swears in nation's 1st Hmong judge
- Suspects sought after man stabbed in Parlier
- Crime spree ends with 2 arrested in Fresno
- Man accused of molesting minor, having child porn
- Two convicted in murder of Fresno sex offender
- California farmers to get more water
- Police raid LA Times building after threat reports
- Easter Brunch recipe
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos