3 dead and 3 injured in crash near Del Rey
FRESNO COUNTY, Calif. (KFSN) -- The crash scene was cleared and late Tuesday morning. Some family members said the boys were on their way to school at Reedley City College Tuesday morning, but they never made it.
Three people are dead and three others injured after a crash involving two vehicles south of Del Rey. The crash happened after 7 a.m. at the intersection of South and McCall.
According to the CHP, a preliminary report indicates that a Saturn heading eastbound on South Ave. was carrying three males and one female, ages 21 to 22. A witness says the vehicle passed a car at a high rate of speed and failed to stop at the stop sign. It then collided with a Toyota that was heading southbound on McCall with two male passengers.
The impact sent the two vehicles into an adjacent vineyard. When emergency responders arrived, they found three dead males inside the Saturn and extricated a female inside the car. She was airlifted to a local hospital for emergency care. All the four occupants were from Fresno County.
"In addition to the complications involved with the pinned in victims, we also had both vehicles come to rest -- one on a telephone poll and the other out in a vineyard. So that makes access difficult for firefighters," said Chris Bump with Fresno County Fire.
Fresno County firefighters also cared for the two people inside the Toyota. CHP says the driver was a 48-year-old male and the passenger was a 56-year-old female. The passenger in the Toyota was airlifted to a local hospital with major injuries. The driver sustained moderate injuries.
At this time, CHP is not sure whether alcohol played a role in the fatal crash, but they say speed was a factor. Because of the severity of the collision, it's unknown if anyone was wearing seat belts.
del rey, fresno county, sanger, parlier, fowler, accident, local, amanda venegas
- Serial college campus sex offender to be released soon 9 min ago
- 2 Men accused of firing 40 shots at law enforcement
- Freeze threatens unique tropical farm 40 min ago
- Bulldog gang members have gun battle with officer
- Fracking: Central Valley boom or nightmare?
- Newtown 911 dispatcher urged callers to take cover
- Mexico: Stolen radioactive cobalt box found empty
- 10 whales dead, dozens stranded in Everglades
- A wish is coming true for a South Valley girl
- Fresno supervisors approve moving coroner to sheriff
- OTRC: Paul Walker autopsy results released
- BART train evacuated after brake problem
- Family blames company for flammable water
- Man tries to kill ex-girlfriend by setting fire to home
- Accuweather Forecast
38 min ago