Merced man accused of arson arrested
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A suspected arsonist is in custody after a fire forced five families from their homes in Merced.
Authorities arrested 29-year-old Santiago Ayala-Lopez last night.
They say he confessed to starting the fire with a lighter after fighting with his girlfriend.
The blaze broke out at a single story apartment complex on N Street near Sixth yesterday afternoon.
The Merced City Fire chief says flames consumed one unit and two others were also on fire. No one was injured, but the damage is extensive.
"It's hard to say if its a total loss, but there's some pretty significant damage. It was heavily involved upon our arrival, I wouldn't be surprised if it is a total loss," Merced City Fire Chief Michael McLaughlin said.
The Red Cross is now helping the five families.
merced, merced county, arson, crimetracker, local
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- Vigil held for slain Parlier football coach
- 8 kids, 4 adults involved in SW Fresno crash
- Family remembers murder victim, forgetting killer
- Suspected gang members arrested in Winton murder
- FDIC sues 16 big banks that set key rate
- West readies sanctions on Russia after Crimea vote
- Visalia man accused of sexual conduct with boy
- Valley residents seeing more black widow spiders
- Weather to warm up for CA Classic Half-Marathon
- States sue over California's egg laws
- Visalia school unveils new solar structures
- Sailor in iconic WWII photo dies
- 7 health apps you need to know about
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos