Merced man accused of arson arrested
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A suspected arsonist is in custody after a fire forced five families from their homes in Merced.
Authorities arrested 29-year-old Santiago Ayala-Lopez last night.
They say he confessed to starting the fire with a lighter after fighting with his girlfriend.
The blaze broke out at a single story apartment complex on N Street near Sixth yesterday afternoon.
The Merced City Fire chief says flames consumed one unit and two others were also on fire. No one was injured, but the damage is extensive.
"It's hard to say if its a total loss, but there's some pretty significant damage. It was heavily involved upon our arrival, I wouldn't be surprised if it is a total loss," Merced City Fire Chief Michael McLaughlin said.
The Red Cross is now helping the five families.
merced, merced county, arson, crimetracker, local
- Man found dead with gunshot wounds in Visalia 54 min ago
- Triple stabbing in East Central Fresno
- Visalia Police: Street racer crashes into mattress store
- Fire sprinklers cause flooding at FCOE after small fire
- Sanger police chase ends in crash
- Israel halts peace talks with Palestinians
- Man killed in rollover crash near Caruthers
- Wyoming gas explosion prompts evacuation of town
- Clashes in east Ukraine leave at least 2 dead
- Activists: Syrian airstrikes in north kill 18
- Scientists locate 19th century steamship in SF Bay
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save daughter during attack
- Man worried 'MURDER' tattoo might hurt his case
- Clovis mother writes 'It's Ok, Mama Has Cancer'