Merced man accused of arson arrested
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A suspected arsonist is in custody after a fire forced five families from their homes in Merced.
Authorities arrested 29-year-old Santiago Ayala-Lopez last night.
They say he confessed to starting the fire with a lighter after fighting with his girlfriend.
The blaze broke out at a single story apartment complex on N Street near Sixth yesterday afternoon.
The Merced City Fire chief says flames consumed one unit and two others were also on fire. No one was injured, but the damage is extensive.
"It's hard to say if its a total loss, but there's some pretty significant damage. It was heavily involved upon our arrival, I wouldn't be surprised if it is a total loss," Merced City Fire Chief Michael McLaughlin said.
The Red Cross is now helping the five families.
merced, merced county, arson, crimetracker, local
- 4 arrested after exchanging gunfire with police
- Authorities investigate a homicide in Fresno Co. 33 min ago
- Andy Vidak wins 16th State Senate District
- FBI fatally shoots man in Boston bombing probe
- Former Bullard Star Taylor Gets Coaching Start at Kerman
- Valley students helping tornado-ravaged town of Moore
- Stand-up paddling is catching on
- David Cameron: London attack could be terror
- Life or death? Jodi Arias jury deadlocked
- Family rocked by a violent tragedy finds comfort
- Crabtree may have a torn Achilles tendon
- Arsonist believed to be on the loose near Orange Cove
- Mother of convicted rapist attacks ABC30 camera
- Ben Bernanke signals Fed to maintain stimulus efforts
- Accuweather Forecast
44 min ago