Merced man accused of arson arrested
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A suspected arsonist is in custody after a fire forced five families from their homes in Merced.
Authorities arrested 29-year-old Santiago Ayala-Lopez last night.
They say he confessed to starting the fire with a lighter after fighting with his girlfriend.
The blaze broke out at a single story apartment complex on N Street near Sixth yesterday afternoon.
The Merced City Fire chief says flames consumed one unit and two others were also on fire. No one was injured, but the damage is extensive.
"It's hard to say if its a total loss, but there's some pretty significant damage. It was heavily involved upon our arrival, I wouldn't be surprised if it is a total loss," Merced City Fire Chief Michael McLaughlin said.
The Red Cross is now helping the five families.
merced, merced county, arson, crimetracker, local
- Edison High School ROP teacher shot in classroom
- Authorities file charges in Elbow Room beating
- Spencer Scarber denied new trial in rape case
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- Copper thieves flood Tower District businesses
- Valley experts give advice after Target accounts hacked
- SoCal tour bus crash injures 22, kills 1
- Consumer Watch: Handheld video gaming devices
- Operation Bulldog cracks down on gang members
- Freeze impacts one Valley farmer's tropical fruit harvest
- Patriarch off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- In-N-Out opens in Hanford
- City of Fresno hiring to help city development
- Dozens injured at partial London theater collapse
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos