Reedley College students mourn 3 killed in crash
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Reedley College students are mourning the loss of three fellow students after a tragic car accident.
The young men killed in the deadly crash are identified as Joseph Sarabia, David Trejo, and Isiaih Vasquez. The crash happened Tuesday morning at the intersection of South and McCall near Fowler while the students were on their way to Reedley College. Wednesday Action News has learned that none of the students were wearing their seat belts.
Students at Reedley College are without three of their classmates after a fatal accident Tuesday morning.
We're just in shock and my friend is just having a tough time dealing with it," said classmate Will Pearce.
Will Pearce was enrolled in the automotive program with two of the victims; 21-year-old Joseph Serabia and David Trejo. "It's gloomy in class, we try not to think about it but you can't really stop thinking about like replaying it over in your mind."
Student Isiaih Vasquez was also killed in the crash that happened on McCall and South near Fowler. All three students were on their way to school in a Saturn when it collided with a Toyota. The CHP says the driver of the Saturn was speeding, and no one was wearing their seat belts.
The three young men inside the car died at the scene. Firefighters were able to extricate three survivors -- one from the Saturn and two from the Toyota.
Pictures of the victims and candles surround site of the accident. Classmates are having a hard time coming to terms with the loss. "It's pretty devastating, especially for the families and what they're going through right now," said classmate Daniel Anaya.
Administrators at Reedley College expressed their condolences through a statement saying:
"Our deepest sympathies go out to the students' families and friends. The loss of such young lives just starting on their higher educational path is truly heartbreaking."
The student government plans on hosting an event to honor the students' lives and raise money for funeral costs.
Student body president Jessy Torres said, "For me personally, it was heartbreaking just to know that young students the same age as me lost their lives. They're here doing the same thing I am, getting their education and now they're gone."
Counselors have been at Reedley College to offer psychological services to students.
reedley, fresno county, accident, local, carlos saucedo
- Fire breaks out at winery near Reedley 1 min ago
- Tornado churns through Oklahoma City suburbs
- Lilly 2 fire in Yosemite Lakes 80 percent contained
- Yahoo takes big leap with $1.1B deal for Tumblr
- The skinny on fitness video games
- The final push for California's 16th Senate seat
- Fresno Police open fire on suspect after bike chase
- La Tapatia fire prompts two business to evacuate in Fresno
- Hundreds of UC Merced students receive their degrees
- OTRC: Billboard Music Awards 2013 winners list
- Photos: Best moments at Billboard Awards 2013
- Firebaugh man kills home invasion suspect with a sword
- Investigators look into Merced house fire
- California Classic Weekend half marathon
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos