Recognition for three Valley service men that died in Iraq
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The big celebration of the new facility for vets is a visual reminder of a need for these services.
"What this facility will address are those signs that are not so visible," Jim Costa said. "The post-traumatic stress that comes back when you come home."
When vets are in need of mental health care, the 16-thousand square foot state of the art facility hopes to provide what they need, helping them deal with the emotional and physical wounds of war.
VA Hospital Director Joanne Krumberger said, "We have been providing these services for a very long time, but what we wanted to do was to buy the newest equipment, the state of the art equipment."
The $6 million facility was funded with money raised through the annual Hubbard-Baro Golf Tournament, held since 2005. The event honors three Buchanan High School graduates who were killed in action in Iraq. And now a permanent part of the new building, a special plaque commemorating Jared and Nathan Hubbard, and Jeremiah Baro.
Jeremiah's mother, Terry Baro said, "I'm speechless, it's fantastic, they did such a great job."
Terry says she's proud that her son's legacy lives on. She said, "The veterans that are going to come through here, are just going to have such a good facility to heal in, and I think that's the most important goal that we can have."
Plaque designer, Anthony Santoya said, "We're a band of brothers, these guys are my brothers."
Santoya is a vet himself, and says he takes pride in designing the plaque commemorating the three young men.
Santoya explained, "I feel very humbled today, like again, I did it from my heart, I wanted to do it from my heart, and it meant a lot to me."
You can find it in the gym where vets will get their physical therapy. A feature that will help them heal while they remember why they're healing, after fighting for freedom.
fresno, clovis, fresno county, local, carlos saucedo
- Woman dies in NE Fresno officer-involved shooting
- Parlier man shot and killed; neighbor arrested
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard
- Crews battle large fire at Fresno County warehouse
- Man dies after being hit by train in Downtown Fresno
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Man who inspired Three Strikes law may be sentenced under it
- Fresno PD: Man sitting in street struck, killed by car
- Unemployment figures: Slight economic improvement
- California jury deadlocks in ex-NFL player's death
- Near drownings on the rise
- Students take part in robot competition in Madera
- SubCom companies thinking inside the box
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos