Suspects use Scream mask, airsoft gun in carjacking attempts
VISALIA, Calif. (KFSN) -- Visalia Police are investigating a series of attempted carjackings Monday night. They happened in a parking garage across the street from Kaweah Delta Medical Center near Locust and Mineral King.
Investigators arrested 25-year-old Brittney Gipson and 26-year-old Veronica Baker on charges of attempted carjacking and assault with a deadly weapon.
Visalia Police say the couple attempted to carjack at least two victims inside the parking structure across the street from Kaweah Delta Medical Center.
"It was a very brazen kind of crime for our area, especially in our downtown area -- in the middle of the afternoon," said Sgt. Jim Carr with the Visalia Police Department.
Police say they received multiple calls of attempted carjackings inside the structure at around 3:30 Monday afternoon. Investigators say 25-year-old Brittney Gipson was wearing a Scream Halloween mask while holding what appeared to be a weapon at the victims.
"They demanded the keys from the people, and they refused to give it to them, so they were able to get away and call us," said Carr.
Gibson and his 26-year-old girlfriend Veronica Baker were arrested three blocks from the structure on main and bridge near a movie theater, minutes after the incidents. Police found evidence that linked the two to the crime. "The mask was located in the purse of the female that was with the male when we contacted them on Main Street, as well as a glock-like weapon that turned out to be a an airsoft gun."
While the suspects were not successful in their attempts to steal a vehicle, they did terrify the victims. One that was visiting a family member, the other was making a doctor's appointment.
Both suspects were booked into the Tulare County Jail and face attempted carjacking charges.
visalia, tulare county, carjacking, crimetracker, local, carlos saucedo
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Fresno 4/20 event fires up health advocates
- Transcript reveals confusion over ferry evacuation
- Deputies shoot, kill man after high-speed chase
- 1 dead, 1 arrested after NW Fresno shooting
- FLIR video captures end of Tulare County chase
- Police arrest 2 suspects in Merced shooting
- 13th body pulled from snow in Everest avalanche
- Health care site flagged in Heartbleed review
- 2 Fresno men arrested in NY for heroin possession
- NASA: Engineer vital to moon landing success dies
- Chopper drops 2,600 golf balls for a good cause
- Blackbeard's hosts large Easter egg hunt
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart