Avenal mourning first murder victim of year
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Police in one South Valley town are working to solve their first homicide this year.
They're looking for a group of gang members they say shot and killed a man and stabbed two other young men.
The attacked happened Sunday morning at the corner of Stanislaus Street and A Street in Avenal.
Police have no suspects in custody but say they're much closer to making an arrest.
Candles, roses and handmade crosses mark the site where a 20-year-old Avenal resident was gunned down early Sunday morning.
The memorial sits across the street where police say a group of Norteno gang members were partying before brutally attacking three young men including Albert Alcala.
Neighbor Eloisa Valle says she woke up after hearing several gunshots Sunday just before 3 a.m. That's when she ran outside and saw Alcala's body on the ground.
Similar witness accounts are helping police solve this crime.
"We feel very good where the investigation is right now and we're hoping that we'll lead to identification of suspects and ultimately an arrest," Jack Amarosa of the Avenal Police Department said.
Avenal police say Alcala was walking down Stanislaus Street with his brother and two friends when they were confronted by several gang members.
Investigators say Alcala was shot multiple times while his two friends were stabbed. The motive for the attack is unknown.
"Right now we're not tying them into any gang activity. This was without question an unprovoked attack," Amarosa said.
The family of the victim did not want to speak on camera but describe Alcala as a friendly and outgoing. Police say the suspects are not from the area.
Avenal Mayor Harlin Casida says his city has been struggling with outside gang activity for years.
"We've had other people from our neighboring communities around here come here and try to cause trouble," Casida said.
While police search for the suspects a community is still mourning one of their own and hoping for an end to violence.
avenal, kings county, crimetracker, homicide, murder, local, carlos saucedo
- 16-year-old survives in wheel well of Maui flight 31 min ago
- Man dies following shooting at Fresno apartment
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate SoCal hospital attacks 23 min ago
- Sikh community celebrates Vaisakhi in Caruthers
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Grim work for families as more bodies discovered 18 min ago
- 7,000 Easter eggs rain down from helicopter
- Yemen: Airstrike targets al-Qaida training camps
- Fresno 4/20 event fires up health advocates
- Deputies shoot, kill man after high-speed chase
- Malaysia, Flight 370 relatives talk financial help
- Prizefighter Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- FLIR video captures end of Tulare County chase
- Health Watch: 5 clues to Alzheimer's 38 min ago