Murder, sexual assault trial of girl, 3, moves forward
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A judge ruled there was enough evidence to charge Christopher Cheary, 21, with murder and sexual assault of a 3-year-old girl.
Prosecutors say Cheary brutally attacked his girlfriend's daughter, Sophia Acosta back in May 2011. Investigators say the injuries ultimately caused her death.
Several family members have declined to listen to the proceedings in court because of the graphic nature of the evidence.
Still, they say they are happy the case is finally moving towards the trial stage. If Cheary is convicted he could face the death penalty.
Prosecutor David Alavezos said, "Any person who is charged with a special circumstance who is an adult has the potential to face the death penalty that decision has not been reached yet but that certainly is a potential at this point."
Victim's great grandfather, Sam Coronado said, "Today was a little relief you know& the family is going to be happier they're still in a daze, it's been really hard for everybody.
Cheary will be back in court next month to be arraigned on the charges.
crimetracker, murder, sex crimes, exeter, tulare county, local
- Authorities probe murder outside Merced apartment
- Teenage boy shot and killed in Tulare 43 min ago
- Focus turns to pilots as hunt for jet widens
- Visalia man accused of sexually exploiting boy
- Amber Alert issued for 4 LA-area children
- Ukraine says Russian forces move outside Crimea
- Fresno State women win Mountain West title 36 min ago
- Car wash held to help family of murdered coach
- Visalia shooting sends man to hospital
- Man arrested after Hanford drug and weapons bust
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans
- Mendota PD seeks arsonist after patrol car torched
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Photos: Photos of David Brenner through the years