Fresno State employee wins MEGA Millions jackpot
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A Valley man is $30-million richer after winning Tuesday night's MEGA Millions lottery. The winning ticket was sold at the 7-Eleven store on Shaw and Maple in the last week.
Just after 7 a.m. Wednesday morning there was a small celebration going on inside the 7-Eleven store across the street from Fresno State. The clerks were shaking the hands with a man and smiling. A 7-Eleven official confirmed that man was the winner of the $30.5 million MEGA Millions jackpot.
As quickly as he came in to get his usual Red Bull drink, he was out and on his way to work.
Action News spoke with him for a quick second and he was still in shock. He said his name was Alex and that he worked at Fresno State on the field. When asked when he was going to cash in the winning ticket, he laughed, and left.
Store clerks say Alex is a regular customer and a very nice man. Local lottery officials say this $30-million dollar win is exciting for everyone.
"Not too often we get a big winner. Because we're talking about 38 different states that are in the pool for the MEGA Millions so it's yeah it's kind of a big deal for California to have a big winner," said California State Lottery Fresno supervisor Henry Hernandez.
Wednesday morning, California Lottery officials put up the store's first ever "millionaires made here" sign. With a matching ticket, that means the store also wins as well -- and in fact, this is the store's first big win.
The franchisee will receive half a percent of the winner's earnings, which amounts to a little more than $152-thousand. As of late Wednesday morning, the winner had not stopped by the local California Lottery office to cash in his ticket.
The total MEGA Millions jackpot was $61-million dollars. Two people in the country had those magic MEGA Million numbers. Besides Fresno, the other winning ticket was sold in Massachusetts.
fresno, fresno county, fresno northeast, fresno state, lottery, local, amanda venegas
- Merced Co. industrial explosion kills 1, injures 2 31 min ago
- Reward raised to $100K to find Ryan Rodriquez
- Fresno police target gangs in new operation
- Local heroes honored for bravery in Fresno
- Fresno Co. supervisors OK preliminary marijuana ban
- SF Giants pitcher inspired by Batkid to give
- Man shot several times in Central Fresno
- NTSB: Asiana captain worried about visual landing
- 2010 Greyhound Bus crash lawsuit settled
- $20 thousand reward for missing Fresno man
- Ex-Fresno paralegal found guilty of murder
- Uruguay legalizes sale, production of marijuana
- Warming tent setup for homeless in Merced County
- Debate on Fresno's water rate hike gets heated
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos