Sheriff: Detectives talking with murder suspect
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Action News has learned Fresno County Sheriff's detectives are talking with the Fresno man wanted in the death investigation of Sammy Mercado. The 16-year-old has been missing since April.
Fresno County Sheriff's detectives believe he was killed, but they have not yet found his body. Investigators say 21-year-old Ernie Chanmany shot and killed Mercado. Chanmany was recently arrested in Utah on unrelated drug charges.
Sheriff Margaret Mims told Action News her detectives are hoping to learn more from Chanmany about what happened to Mercado. She also said they are still looking for additional suspects.
One of Mercado's relatives told Action News the family is hoping to find Mercado's remains to finally have some closure.
Investigators said this man just might have the information everyone is waiting for. Since Chanmany was arrested in rural central Utah, Fresno County detectives have been talking with him. "Detectives have been talking with him," said Sheriff Mims over the phone. "However, I can't say, at this point, what information we've received."
Chanmany was arrested on October 6th during a Utah Highway Patrol drug enforcement operation in Sevier County, Utah. They said he was found with 110 pounds of marijuana. UHP said Chanmany was taking the drugs from Fresno to northern Colorado.
In May Mims announced Chanmany as a murder suspect. Investigators say Chanmany shot Sammy Mercado at Fresno County pot grow site. Mercado and two friends were on the property trying to steal marijuana. Mercado was the only one who did not make it safely out of the pot field.
"We will continue our investigation into the disappearance of Sammy Mercado, the circumstances surrounding his death and where his body may be," the sheriff said.
Since detectives have not yet tracked down Mercado's body they are being careful about the information they make public.
Stay with Action News and ABC30.com for developments.
crimetracker, missing person, shooting, marijuana, sanger, fresno southwest, kerman, fresno, fresno county, fresno county sheriff department, clovis, local, rick montanez
- Fresno cop investigated for auto theft, drugs
- Community bands together for Officer Jon Linzey
- High court upholds Delta Smelt protection
- Man who woke up inside body bag dies
- Man missing near Shaver Lake found alive and well
- More than 400 guns were seized in SoCal
- Family headed to DC for father's Medal of Honor
- Valley Sikhs speak out on bullying report
- Police fight spike in Tower District crime
- Peach Blossom Festival growing each year
- Merced authorities see rise in honey oil explosions
- Musical mavericks make waves
- Pet Adoption of the Week: Lady Bug
- Fallout from Target's data breach