Westerlund proposes Public Safety Mediation Program
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The city of Fresno could soon have a new method of settling disputes between police officers and the public.
Councilmember Larry Westerlund outlined a proposal for a new "Public Safety Mediation Program" modeled after a similar system in Denver, Colorado.
The program would provide the city with an alternative complaint-handling process that would allow community members and officers to sit down face-to-face and discuss their issue with a professional mediator.
Westerlund says 80 to 90 complaints are sent to the Internal Affairs division each year, and each case costs the city about a $1 thousand to investigate.
"You never get an opportunity to sit down and address your concerns, or how you feel about what took place, you never really get a chance to find out what happened, whether the officer got a letter of reprimand or some sort of discipline or just training," explained Westerlund.
So far the proposal has won support from Police Chief Jerry Dyer and Mayor Ashley Swearengin, but not everyone is onboard.
Swearengin said, "I think it's a concept people certainly understand the wisdom in adding this program to our compliment of tools we have to work with residents and I expect there to be good feedback from the council on Thursday."
fresno police department, fresno, fresno county, larry westerlund, jerry dyer, ashley swearengin, local, linda mumma
- Dog pack kills nearly 80 animals at campus
- Police investigate a home invasion in Central Fresno
- Kai murder investigation details revealed
- Mother of a Fresno toddler talks after hit-and-run
- Conn. commuter train crash injures more than 60
- Brush fire in Southern California scorches 575 acres
- Pastor caught watching child porn at Disney World
- Clovis resident whose car was used in police chase talks
- Fresno foster youth overcomes adversity to graduate
- Eyewitness to Visalia OIS describes what he saw
- Frontier Airlines returns to Fresno
- Good Sports: Bulldogs in the Kitchen
- Grass fire contained in Fresno County
- Made in the Valley: Top O' The Morn Farms
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos