Thieves pull off business-crippling heist in Madera
MADERA, Calif. (KFSN) -- A North Valley commercial landscaping business was forced to a halt Tuesday after thieves broke into their storage facility overnight and stole three trucks, three trailers, and nearly $50,000 in equipment.
By the end of the day, investigators had recovered most of the equipment but one truck and trailer remained missing.
Workers from Grover Landscaping first discovered the burglary around 6:30 a.m. when they arrived at the storage lot and found the locks cut and the gate open.
One of the trucks and a trailer was located in a vineyard Tuesday afternoon. Another truck and trailer were found at a Fresno County home. Investigators say thieves had already tried to remove the company's name from the side of the truck and emptied the trailer's contents into a nearby shed. Commercial lawnmowers were also recovered at the scene. "Some of these lawnmowers run about $15,000 a piece so this is pretty significant," said Sgt. Robert Salas with the Madera Police Department.
The truck's ignition had also been damaged, but employees were still able to drive it away from the home. "We are happy. We get to work tomorrow," said Grover employee Pablo Salazar.
crimetracker, theft, madera, madera county, local, amanda perez
- Large explosion, building collapse reported in Harlem 3 min ago
- Fresno couple wins $1 million on scratcher
- Arrest made in Tulare County officer-involved shooting
- Surveillance video released in Hanford murder
- No time added for killer of Atwater prison guard
- 5-alarm fire destroys SF building under construction
- Photos: Massive fire damages vacant building in SF
- Mariposa is putting limits on marijuana grows
- Noticeable drop in Valley flu cases
- New painkiller 10 times stronger than Vicodin
- Athletes embracing "extreme" exercise trends
- Senator: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Tiger Cubs make big debut at Fresno Chaffee Zoo
- Crimea's parliament pushes for independence
- Pre-exercise routine
43 min ago