Madera daycare owner facing molestation charges
MADERA, Calif. (KFSN) -- A Madera man is facing child molestation charges, and now Action News has learned he and his wife run a daycare from their home.
Officials say Oscar Aguiar, 44, and his wife operated a day care at their Madera home. But now he's facing three felony charges. The Madera County district attorney tells Action News they are: child molestation, rape of a child under the age of 14 and rape of a child over the age of 14.
"I'm really surprised about what happened," Jaime Gutierrez said. "I can't believe."
Jaime Gutierrez lives just down the street and also operates a day care. He says he's known Aguiar for about six years and never suspected any problems.
"He looks like a normal person to me," Gutierrez said. "Of course he always was doing the front yard, taking kids back & forth."
Authorities have not released the relationship between the suspect and victim or victims, but the California Department of Social Services says Aguiar and his wife were licensed to care for as many as eight children. A spokesperson says they both had to undergo background checks, and an investigation is now underway.
"There doesn't have to be a conviction," said CDSS spokesperson Michael Weston. "If the department can determine there was inappropriate action, which threatened the health and safety of children, we can move in very quickly and revoke the license of the child care home."
Aguiar pleaded not guilty to the charges in court on Tuesday and is scheduled to face a judge again on Thursday. Aguiar is being held on a $300 thousand bond.
crimetracker, sex crimes, madera, madera county, local, sara sandrik
- Group finds 'structurally deficient' bridges in Valley
- Stabbing victim well known in the Tower District
- Fire truck overturns in collision in SE Fresno
- Man arrested for death of baby girl at LNAS
- Dentist sentenced for son's dentist chair overdose
- Fresno's bike lane battle continues
- Lawmakers want to restore dental care to Medi-Cal
- Hotels helping displaced guests after Oakhurst Lodge fire
- Brad Pitt face blindness
- Clovis standoff ends peacefully, suspect in custody
- Top Valley grad rises from humble roots
- Three shot, two dead in Merced shooting
- Costco plans new store in Hanford
- Arrest made in Pinedale arson fires