Madera daycare owner facing molestation charges
MADERA, Calif. (KFSN) -- A Madera man is facing child molestation charges, and now Action News has learned he and his wife run a daycare from their home.
Officials say Oscar Aguiar, 44, and his wife operated a day care at their Madera home. But now he's facing three felony charges. The Madera County district attorney tells Action News they are: child molestation, rape of a child under the age of 14 and rape of a child over the age of 14.
"I'm really surprised about what happened," Jaime Gutierrez said. "I can't believe."
Jaime Gutierrez lives just down the street and also operates a day care. He says he's known Aguiar for about six years and never suspected any problems.
"He looks like a normal person to me," Gutierrez said. "Of course he always was doing the front yard, taking kids back & forth."
Authorities have not released the relationship between the suspect and victim or victims, but the California Department of Social Services says Aguiar and his wife were licensed to care for as many as eight children. A spokesperson says they both had to undergo background checks, and an investigation is now underway.
"There doesn't have to be a conviction," said CDSS spokesperson Michael Weston. "If the department can determine there was inappropriate action, which threatened the health and safety of children, we can move in very quickly and revoke the license of the child care home."
Aguiar pleaded not guilty to the charges in court on Tuesday and is scheduled to face a judge again on Thursday. Aguiar is being held on a $300 thousand bond.
crimetracker, sex crimes, madera, madera county, local, sara sandrik
- Mariposa fire evacuees are heading home
- Brian Calhoun pleads not guilty in student attack
- Fresno City Manager Mark Scott resigns
- F-15 Fighter Jet touches down in Fresno
- Panel restores some pay for California lawmakers, governor
- Natura recalls pet food after salmonella test
- Treatment of mentally ill inmates in jail under scrutiny
- James helps Heat stave off elimination in Game 6
- Porterville to vote on gay pride proclamation
- Dave Chappelle is back with new Funny or Die tour
- Cancer killed serial killer Richard Ramirez
- Fresno family's dream comes true
- Grapes become Fresno Co 1st billion dollar crop
- Starbucks to post calorie counts for drinks