Madera daycare owner facing molestation charges
MADERA, Calif. (KFSN) -- A Madera man is facing child molestation charges, and now Action News has learned he and his wife run a daycare from their home.
Officials say Oscar Aguiar, 44, and his wife operated a day care at their Madera home. But now he's facing three felony charges. The Madera County district attorney tells Action News they are: child molestation, rape of a child under the age of 14 and rape of a child over the age of 14.
"I'm really surprised about what happened," Jaime Gutierrez said. "I can't believe."
Jaime Gutierrez lives just down the street and also operates a day care. He says he's known Aguiar for about six years and never suspected any problems.
"He looks like a normal person to me," Gutierrez said. "Of course he always was doing the front yard, taking kids back & forth."
Authorities have not released the relationship between the suspect and victim or victims, but the California Department of Social Services says Aguiar and his wife were licensed to care for as many as eight children. A spokesperson says they both had to undergo background checks, and an investigation is now underway.
"There doesn't have to be a conviction," said CDSS spokesperson Michael Weston. "If the department can determine there was inappropriate action, which threatened the health and safety of children, we can move in very quickly and revoke the license of the child care home."
Aguiar pleaded not guilty to the charges in court on Tuesday and is scheduled to face a judge again on Thursday. Aguiar is being held on a $300 thousand bond.
crimetracker, sex crimes, madera, madera county, local, sara sandrik
- Police: Man killed in Fresno gang-related shooting
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Man accused of killing Parlier coach identified 14 min ago
- Free health care enrollment fair held in Fresno
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- Pistorius trial: Stunning testimony in 1st week
- Putin defends separatist drive in Crimea as legal
- Parlier youth football team mourns slain coach
- Fresno PD: Man hit by vehicle while jaywalking
- DUI suspect crashes into 'We Be Sober' drivers
- United Way celebrates 90 years of serving Fresno County
- Elderly drivers: When to turn over the keys
- 3D printer and Twitter used to make Oreo cookies
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals
- Accuweather Forecast
43 min ago