Mom accidentally kills toddler with SUV in Madera County
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A mother accidentally backed over her own toddler with an SUV Wednesday, the little girl died from her injuries. That's according to the California Highway Patrol. It happened on Martin Street near Avenue 26 in Madera County just before noon.
Investigators say the mother was moving her SUV to get ready to go to the store and did not realize her 19-month-old daughter was behind her. The little girl has been identified as Merlyn Cruz Hernandez. Officers say she was crushed by the vehicle.
Officer Mark Cosentino said, "It's horrible to see a mother holding their child that's suffered fatal injuries, but it's a reminder& watch when they're backing, these cars are big, and they can be dangerous."
The CHP also reminds parents to keep a close eye on their children any time a car is in motion.
madera, madera county, accident, california highway patrol, local
- Air force chief: Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Fresno PD: Man hit by vehicle while jaywalking
- Free health care enrollment fair held in Fresno
- Parlier youth football team mourns slain coach
- Daylight saving time: Set clocks ahead 1 hour
- Paraglider rescued after crashing near Dunlap
- Suspected gang member nabbed in fatal Fresno shooting
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Plea deal for inmate accused of killing correctional officer
- Woman struck, killed by car on Hwy 180 identified
- Elderly drivers: When to turn over the keys
- United Way celebrates 90 years of serving Fresno County
- Fresno gas theft caught on surveillance video
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals