Two suspects in Mercado murder appear in court
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- No pictures were allowed inside the courtroom where Ernie Chanmany appeared for his arraignment.
The 22 year old is charged with being an accessory after the fact in the death of Sammy Mercado. The 16 year old Sanger youth was believed to have been shot to death last April while he and two friends were trying to steal marijuana from a grow Southeast of Fresno.
Chanmany was arrested in a marijuana bust in Utah three weeks ago. He was returned to Fresno on Saturday. He lead deputies to an orchard where a body, they believe to be Mercado's was found buried in a shallow grave.
Chanmany did not say anything in court. The judge declared him to be a danger to society and raised his bail from just $7 thousand, to $700 thousand. His arraignment was continued until next Thursday.
A few hours later Michael Voravong was arraigned in another courtroom. He's charged with murder in Mercado's death. The judge did not allow pictures of his face.
Voravong is 29 years old. He was arrested at his home in Southeast Fresno last Sunday. His arraignment was also put off, until next Wednesday. His bail was set much higher than Chanmany's, at $1.6 million.
The court sessions for both men were continued until next week to give their attorneys more time to receive information about the evidence against them.
Deputies are searching for a third suspect, Marshall Voravong, Michael's younger brother. He is also wanted for murder. Both of the Voravongs have extensive and violent criminal histories.
shooting, crimetracker, murder, marijuana, fresno, fresno county, sanger, local, gene haagenson
- Community bands together for Officer Jon Linzey
- High court upholds Delta Smelt protection
- Fresno cop investigated for auto theft, drugs
- Man missing near Shaver Lake found alive and well
- More than 400 guns were seized in SoCal
- Family headed to DC for father's Medal of Honor
- Valley Sikhs speak out on bullying report
- Police fight spike in Tower District crime
- Peach Blossom Festival growing each year
- Merced authorities see rise in honey oil explosions
- Musical mavericks make waves
- Pet Adoption of the Week: Lady Bug
- Fallout from Target's data breach
- Street sweeper finds shooting victim in Fresno