Third man arrested in connection with Sammy Mercado case
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Another suspect in the death of Sammy Mercado is now in jail, as the family waits for the positive identification of their loved one.
After six months of uncertainty, Felipe Mercado is still in pain, waiting to hear whether remains found in a Fresno County orchard are those belonging to his 16 year old son.
"Yesterday when they told us they couldn't - with the dental records they couldn't prove if it was him or not, they need another DNA test," Felipe said. "It kinda lifted up my hopes. That maybe he's still out there."
Sammy Mercado disappeared back in April. Investigators say he and two others went to grow to steal marijuana, when men protecting the crop opened fire. His friends got away, but Sammy was never seen again. Three men now face charges in connection to his death, after the final suspect surrendered to authorities overnight.
"I just don't know how to put it into words," Felipe said. "I'm glad they caught them, I'm happy and I hope they get what they deserve. But as for me and my kids and everything, we still consider Sammy missing."
And while Felipe Mercado waits for answers. He's also waiting for justice. Friday, he shared photos of his son -- playing chess, basketball -- and fishing just like any other teen.
"I mean, I know what he did was wrong," Felipe said. "But for them to do what they did to him, that's not right. It's not right at all."
Felipe Mercado says he is thankful for the outpouring of prayers and support shown to his family throughout this entire ordeal. He says the past six months have shown him Sammy was loved by a lot of people.
fresno county, local, amanda perez
- Parlier youth football team mourns slain coach
- Search resumes for missing Malaysian jetliner
- DUI suspect crashes into 'We Be Sober' drivers 34 min ago
- Woman dies in NE Fresno officer-involved shooting
- Daylight saving time: Set clocks ahead 1 hour
- Paraglider rescued after crashing near Dunlap
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Fresno gas theft caught on surveillance video
- Educators inspiring girls to pursue STEM jobs
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Crews battle large fire at Fresno County warehouse
- Unemployment figures: Slight economic improvement
- School running: Keeping kids moving
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals
- Accuweather Forecast
57 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos