District investigates coach for sex on campus
MADERA RANCHOS, Calif. (KFSN) -- A Valley wrestling coach is at the center of a sex scandal -- after a sheriff's deputy and school district official found him having sex with a woman on the school's wrestling mats.
Action News has learned the Liberty High School Varsity wrestling coach, 24-year-old Garrett Vanni, is on administrative leave after deputies caught him having sex on campus.
He was found with 41-year-old Erica Montoya of Fresno. We're told investigators also found drugs and alcohol with the couple.
Golden Valley superintendent, Andy Alvarado, told Action News coach Vanni was found in the wrestling practice room at the Educational Options School after hours.
Action News has learned Vanni was caught around 2:30 Wednesday morning. A deputy and school official went to the campus after a security alarm was triggered.
"It is a personnel, confidential matter," Alvarado said. "There were not children or students involved at the time of the incident. Unfortunately, it was just a bad decision on two grown adults."
Action News has also learned investigators found the pair with two bottles of beer and an ounce of marijuana. They were cited and released.
"I can assure you that that type of behavior is not going to be tolerated," Alvarado said. "We will deal with it accordingly."
Alvarado said the district is investigating the allegations. He said Vanni is the former wrestling coach at Ranchos Middle School. He was recently promoted as Liberty High's varsity wrestling coach.
Parents we talked with had not yet heard about the district's investigation. But, they're still surprised to hear about the allegations. "It's too bad, people like that I don't know what they're thinking. It's crazy," said Tony Mendieta.
Alvarado said the school board will talk about possible disciplinary action against Vanni at the next board meeting.
crimetracker, madera ranchos, madera, madera county, local, rick montanez
- One injured in Central Fresno drive-by shooting
- Animal shelter seeks donations to keep dogs warm
- Freezing temperatures take toll on small Valley farms
- Police increase patrols on Fulton Mall after shooting
- Valley utility workers gear up for freezing weather
- History of snow in Fresno and Porterville
- Madera man accused of murder faces unique circumstances
- Good Sports: Coach Mark Rogers
- Red Wave Gets To See Carr One Last Time
- Tips to keep cars running during cold weather
- Three missing Dinuba children found safe
- Nelson Mandela has died at the age of 95
- North Korea deports elderly Bay Area man
- Police block Mexico hospital, 6 may have radiation