Two dead after Tulare County officer-involved shooting
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The investigation continues into an officer involved shooting in the South Valley.
Visalia police killed two people whose identities have not yet been released.
The shooting happened around 11:30 Friday night in Goshen near the Highway 99 off ramp at Road 69.
Investigators are still trying to figure out which suspects shot at the officers.
Visalia police say they still don't know why the five people inside the car tried to get away from officers.
Two of those five are dead. Another person was also shot. All three were shot by officers.
The crash happened after a 6-minute high speed chase.
The pursuit began at locust near grove in Visalia. Lt Brian Winter says officers tried to pull the car over but the driver sped away.
The pursuit quickly went from the streets to the freeway.
"On the freeway, they got up to about 100 miles per hour. They were driving very fast," Winter said.
Winter says the driver was going too fast and crashed just after getting off the freeway in this industrial area of Goshen.
"Once it crashed, our officers immediately began to approach the vehicle, the suspects who were inside that vehicle got out and the officers were fired upon," Winter said.
Winter says that's when all three officers on the scene hot back at the suspects. Two of the five people stayed in the car and were not shot but they were injured in the crash.
Police say it's still unclear if more than one suspect shot at the officers.
"We're still investigating exactly who fired and from what weapon. We did locate two handguns at the scene, near the suspects," Winter said.
Since the shooting happened in Goshen and not Visalia, the Tulare County Sheriff's Office is taking over the shooting investigation.
tulare county, visalia, goshen, officer involved shooting, local, rick montanez
- Fresno 4/20 event fires up health advocates
- Deputies shoot, kill man after high-speed chase
- Divers begin pulling bodies from sunken ferry
- 1 dead, 1 arrested after NW Fresno shooting
- FLIR video captures end of Tulare County chase
- Police arrest 2 suspects in Merced shooting
- 13th body pulled from snow in Everest avalanche
- Health care site flagged in Heartbleed review
- 2 Fresno men arrested in NY for heroin possession
- Deputies: Man smothered crying son over video game
- NASA: Engineer vital to moon landing success dies
- Chopper drops 2,600 golf balls for a good cause
- Blackbeard's hosts large Easter egg hunt
- Easter Brunch recipe