Two girls shot in Southeast Fresno park
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Fresno police are searching for the gunmen who shot two teenage girls. Investigators say one key piece of information could help them solve the case.
Fresno police say a 14 year-old-girl and a 16-year-old girl are being treated for gunshot wounds.
But they do not believe the teens were the intended targets.
The shooting happened at a park on Laurite and Sabre around 5:30 Saturday night.
Investigators say about a dozen people were sitting at a picnic table when a white Honda pulled up and two men inside the car opened fire.
The two teenage girls were shot.
Ambulances took them both to nearby hospitals, and they are expected to survive.
Police say witnesses told them males and females were at the picnic table at the time of the shooting.
Officers believe one of the men was the target, but they say the victims are denying any males were there.
"We're really trying to get to the bottom of that missing piece, meaning who are the males that were here with them. We believe as soon as we get that piece figured out we should be able to work backwards and get this matter resolved," Lt. Anthony Martinez of the Fresno Police Department said.
Detectives are now interviewing witnesses and looking for the suspects' car.
fresno, fresno county, fresno southeast, shooting, crimetracker, local
- Crimeans overwhelmingly vote for secession 54 min ago
- Final words from jet came after systems shutdown 10 min ago
- 2.8-magnitude earthquake hits Coalinga area 33 min ago
- Authorities probe murder outside Merced apartment
- Teenage boy shot and killed in Tulare
- Visalia man accused of sexually exploiting boy
- Amber Alert issued for 4 LA-area children
- Fresno State women win Mountain West title
- Car wash held to help family of murdered coach
- Visalia shooting sends man to hospital
- Man arrested after Hanford drug and weapons bust
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Photos: Photos of David Brenner through the years