Fresno woman kicks intruder out of her home, literally
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A Fresno man got quite a surprise over the weekend after he broke into what he thought was his own apartment. The apartment ended up belonging to a young woman who was trained in karate and ready for a fight.
It all started early Sunday morning, when Jannine Ramirez, 20, and her mother arrived home and saw a light outside their apartment covered. A window was also open. "As soon as I saw the window open I knew someone had broken in. So as soon as the door opened I was in the zone, I was ready to find out who this person was," said Ramirez.
Jannine went inside the apartment and then heard water running from inside the bathroom. The person on the other side told her he lived there. "I stepped back, I kicked it open. I didn't recognize the guy. The guy came at me. I kicked the guy; the guy fell all the way through the doors to the back through the doors," said Ramirez.
The kicks threw the suspect into the shower doors. Still, Jannine didn't stop kicking until the man was outside. Neighbors helped detain him until Fresno County Sheriff's Deputies arrived. They said the suspect, Wilberto Zapata, 18, was intoxicated and told deputies he thought he had broken into his own home. "He didn't go to the hospital. But he did make some comments afterward that he was surprised how hard she kicked him," said Fresno County Sheriff's Dept. spokesperson Chris Curtice.
Zapata was cited for unlawful entry to a dwelling. He returned to the apartment Sunday to apologize.
fresno, fresno county, local, amanda perez
- Fresno cop investigated for auto theft, drugs
- Valley Sikhs speak out on bullying report
- Man missing near Shaver Lake found alive and well
- Malaysia widens search for missing plane
- Peach Blossom Festival growing each year 58 min ago
- Merced authorities see rise in honey oil explosions
- Musical mavericks make waves
- Pet Adoption of the Week: Lady Bug
- Fallout from Target's data breach
- Street sweeper finds shooting victim in Fresno
- Rockets strike Israel, jeopardizing truce talk
- Photos: 2 dead after car hits crowd at SXSW
- Photos: $2.35 million Modern Family home for sale
- Driver kills 2, injures 23 at SXSW festival, police say