Fresno woman kicks intruder out of her home, literally
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A Fresno man got quite a surprise over the weekend after he broke into what he thought was his own apartment. The apartment ended up belonging to a young woman who was trained in karate and ready for a fight.
It all started early Sunday morning, when Jannine Ramirez, 20, and her mother arrived home and saw a light outside their apartment covered. A window was also open. "As soon as I saw the window open I knew someone had broken in. So as soon as the door opened I was in the zone, I was ready to find out who this person was," said Ramirez.
Jannine went inside the apartment and then heard water running from inside the bathroom. The person on the other side told her he lived there. "I stepped back, I kicked it open. I didn't recognize the guy. The guy came at me. I kicked the guy; the guy fell all the way through the doors to the back through the doors," said Ramirez.
The kicks threw the suspect into the shower doors. Still, Jannine didn't stop kicking until the man was outside. Neighbors helped detain him until Fresno County Sheriff's Deputies arrived. They said the suspect, Wilberto Zapata, 18, was intoxicated and told deputies he thought he had broken into his own home. "He didn't go to the hospital. But he did make some comments afterward that he was surprised how hard she kicked him," said Fresno County Sheriff's Dept. spokesperson Chris Curtice.
Zapata was cited for unlawful entry to a dwelling. He returned to the apartment Sunday to apologize.
fresno, fresno county, local, amanda perez
- USC defeats Fresno St 45-20 in Las Vegas Bowl
- Teen who was shot at Colorado school dies
- Man stabs his uncle in the neck in SE Fresno 15 min ago
- Madera family files claim against city of Los Angeles
- Apartment fire displaces 8 people in SE Fresno 2 min ago
- US holiday travelers brace for ice and snow
- Record number of manatee deaths reported in 2013
- Judge orders hospital to keep teen on support
- Things you didn't know about reindeer
- Man charged in Elbow Room fight pleads not guilty
- Fresno Poverello House in need of toys for kids
- Fresno State program gets students interested in STEM classes
- Parlier students get iPad Airs
- Ryann Jones found guilty of second degree murder
- Parker surprises fans with Parker Gram
40 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos