Tulare Co. murder suspect stabs his attorney
TULARE COUNTY, Calif. (KFSN) -- A Tulare County public defender is recovering after he was stabbed by his client. Rafael Mendoza was on trial for murdering his wife.
Sheriff's department investigators say as the jury was entering the courtroom, Mendoza stood up and stabbed Attorney John Shepard in the face with a makeshift weapon.
Sheriff's investigators are looking into whether all security checks were made prior to Mendoza entering the courtroom. Mendoza now faces attempted murder charges.
crimetracker, stabbing, court, tulare county, visalia, tulare, local, jessica peres
- Perez and Barrera found guilty of 1st degree murder
- Magnitude-7.2 earthquake shakes Mexican capital 55 min ago
- Photos: Easter traditions explained
- Michaels Crafts data breach, nearly 3M compromised 52 min ago
- Yonhap: Captain of sunken SKorean ferry arrested
- Twin boys fight off carjacker in Texas 43 min ago
- 'Family Annihilator' fugitive could be in California
- Malos Hechos the target of Fresno police
- Bogus Fresno Bee letter adds intrigue to DA campaign
- Visalia approves limiting residents' water use
- Investigators conduct tests with FedEx truck, bus
- One of Fresno's ten most wanted criminals arrested
- Evacuation came too late for many on sinking ferry
- Gas prices rise as temperatures heat up