Witnesses called in trial of man accused in crash
MADERA, Calif. (KFSN) -- Attorneys have called their final witnesses in the trial of Richard Farias. The Madera man is accused of killing two of his passengers during a crash in November of 2010.
Prosecutors say he was driving drunk.
Farias admits to drinking two shots of gin and taking a Vicodin pill hours before rolling his Jaguar on Avenue 14 in Madera.
"I remember getting out, walking about half way around my car wondering what happened," Farias said.
The crash killed passengers Deborah Lyon and Marcel Rodriguez. Farias' blood alcohol level at the time is under dispute, but the prosecutor argues it was well above the legal limit.
Valentino Valdez is the only passenger who survived the crash. He says he didn't suspect Farias was drunk when he and Rodriguez asked for a ride home from a liquor store that day. But Valdez testified Farias was speeding up to 110 miles per hour and passing multiple cars before he suddenly hit the brakes to avoid another driver.
"The car started losing control, going like this in the front real bad, and then shot to the left into a field and started flipping," Valdez said.
Farias claims his top speed was closer to 80 miles an hour and that something happened to his car to make him lose control.
"Something jerked to front and left, it felt like tire went out," Farias said.
But this isn't the first time Farias has been accused of driving drunk. He was arrested twice before on DUI charges, including a 2005 conviction that got him 35 days in jail and three years on probation.
Now Farias is facing six charges, including two counts of second degree murder.
The trial will resume Tuesday morning with closing arguments and final instructions from the judge. Then Farias' fate will be in the hands of jurors.
madera, madera county, dui, accident, local, sara sandrik
- 'Family Annihilator' fugitive could be in California
- Malos Hechos the target of Fresno police
- Bogus Fresno Bee letter adds intrigue to DA campaign
- One of Fresno's ten most wanted criminals arrested
- Salmon moved on the San Joaquin River
- 59 Days of Code competition encouraging developers 40 min ago
- Nobel laureate Gabriel Garcia Marquez dies at 87
- Bloody suspect caught by Madera neighbors
- 'Real Housewives' star Porsha Williams arrested
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' sequel in the works?
- Applications for US jobless aid edge up to 304,000
- Drought intensifying pest problems on farms
- Chelsea Clinton expecting 1st child
- Texas seizes polygamist group's secluded ranch 56 min ago
- Visalia approves limiting residents' water...
30 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos