Man wounded in Selma officer-involved shooting
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Selma police are investigating after they say an officer was forced to shoot a man in the middle of a neighborhood.
Police say it all started when a man jumped out of a stolen pickup truck near McCall and Skelton.
Investigators are still collecting evidence. Police say the suspect fired first and Action News has learned he has an extensive criminal history.
Lori Garcia and her family were headed to dinner when they narrowly avoided crashing into a Selma Police car.
"As we were turning there was a truck that almost hit us we got scared, as we turned onto the street, the cop car almost hit us," Garcia said.
They watched while one of the men in the truck tried to jump out.
"A few seconds later we heard 8-10 gunshots, and we were scared so we backed up and started running in their houses," Garcia said.
It was only after their neighborhood turned into a crime scene that people slowly came out of their homes, crowding into the street to see what happened.
The Selma Police Chief says the truck they were following was stolen when the driver jumped out and the officer went running after him.
"The suspect went down the alley into a backyard as the officer went into the backyard he fired upon the officer, the officer returned fire," Selma Police Chief Myron Dyck said.
The officer was not injured. The chief says the man they were after is no stranger to law enforcement and has been in prison.
They're still looking into his background and people in this neighborhood are wondering if it's time to move.
"We can't come outside anymore because we're afraid to walk down the neighborhood," Adela Flores said.
selma, fresno county, officer involved shooting, local, stephanie stone
- Lilly 2 fire in Yosemite Lakes burns one home
- El Tapatio fire prompts two business to evacuate in Fresno
- Fresno Police open fire on suspect after bike chase
- Hundreds of UC Merced students receive their degrees
- Firebaugh man kills home invasion suspect with a sword
- Investigators look into Merced house fire
- California Classic Weekend half marathon
- Visalia PD cracks down on underage drinking
- Welty's final commencement at Fresno State
- Connecticut commuter train crash: 70 injured
- Get the Winning Numbers for Powerball!
- Tornado-ravaged Texas town to start recovery
- Castaic-area brush fire fully contained
- SKorea: NKorea fires 3 short-range missiles
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos