Fresno Co crime tracking tool goes online
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A new tool is available to help you track crime where you live or work.
The information is at your fingertips and updated daily so you can monitor everything from burglaries, to thefts, and even traffic tickets written in your neighborhood.
For Dwane Strickland information is key in keeping his Northwest Fresno neighborhood safe. For decades, he's been the captain of his neighborhood watch group so crime stats are critical.
"In order to kind of look after your neighbors, you have to have updated current information," Strickland said.
Now Dwane and thousands of others who want to be informed can investigate on their own. All you need is a computer or a phone. You can even customize the settings to your preferences.
"One of the things you can actually do is select the kind of crime you want to look for. So, for instance, if all you are interested in is burglaries, you can just click burglary on your menu of choices there and look and see what's going on," Fresno County Sheriff Margaret Mims said.
The Fresno County Sheriff Unveiled the program Friday, a grant has funded the service that allows you to tap into information that can help protect you and your family. All you have to do is log onto crimereports.com and type in an address or area where you want to see stats on.
"You can register for multiple alerts, if you want to know when things happen where you work, you can enter that address, if you want, you can also enter the address where your children go to school, or where your business is," Mims said.
The website not only includes county islands, it also provides information about cities like Fresno, Clovis and other surrounding towns.
You can find out whether any sex offenders live near you, if any cars have been broken into or stolen in the area. There's even a place for you to leave a tip for law enforcement to check out.
The new resource will make it much easier to track concerning trends.
"Because it eliminates having to go to the sheriff's office to find out what's going on in the neighborhood," Strickland said.
The information is updated daily so it's a tool that you can check constantly to get current statistics.
fresno county, crimetracker, local, sontaya rose
- Edison High School ROP teacher shot in classroom
- Copper thieves flood Tower District businesses
- Spencer Scarber denied new trial in rape case
- Authorities file charges in Elbow Room beating
- Valley experts give advice after Target accounts hacked
- SoCal tour bus crash injures 22, kills 1
- Consumer Watch: Handheld video gaming devices
- Operation Bulldog cracks down on gang members
- Freeze impacts one Valley farmer's tropical fruit harvest
- Patriarch off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- In-N-Out opens in Hanford
- City of Fresno hiring to help city development
- Dozens injured at partial London theater collapse
- Murders, car thefts, robberies up in Visalia other crimes down
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos