Clovis West football team celebrates emotional win
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A local football team is celebrating an emotional win. The Clovis West Eagles are this year's Cen-Cal Football League champions.
This is the team that lost one of its players earlier this year to a suspected drunk driver.
The young football players spent the past few months moving their little legs up and down the field. Their hard work paid off Saturday.
The Eagles won the Pee Wee League Championship in memory of their teammate, Donovan Maldonado.
"It's crazy. I'm still trying to take it all in. I'm still shaking," Clovis West Coach Kyle Koontz said.
Among the cheers were tears, mostly from the exciting moments for this young team. The players, coaches and parents spent much of this season mourning the loss of number 7.
"The win means a lot. It's our programs first time, in four years, to win a championship. For this team to be the one to win it, it means a lot," Tamara Sanders of Fresno said.
Donovan was killed in July when he and his family were struck by a car at a Northeast Fresno intersection. Since then the players have proudly worn the number 7 on their helmets.
"It was meant to be. It was a beautiful way to end a season that started off so harsh for everyone. It's something we needed," Aaron Ensminger of Fresno said.
"They're playing for him. They never let up, they never gave up. They kept on going, they played as hard as they could. They played their little hearts out," Koontz said.
Now the team has a towering trophy with Donovan's championship medal hanging from the top.
clovis, fresno county, dui, local, rick montanez
- One person shot near the ice rink at the Fulton Mall
- Amber Alert issued for 14-year-old Kennewick Girl
- Two of three missing Dinuba children found safe
- Nelson Mandela has died at the age of 95
- Teenage serial burglar, 14, arrested in Merced
- Wanted Fresno burglar caught on camera
- Body of missing Delano woman found in canal
- Two injured in Madera drive-by shooting
- American teacher shot dead in Libya's Benghazi
- US economy grows at 3.6 percent rate in 3rd quarter
- Foothill residents preparing for freezing temps
- US jobless claims drop to 316,000, as layoffs slow
- Video: Fresno's homeless search for shelter from...
- Serial college campus sex offender to be released soon