Train accident in Central Fresno, 1 dead, 1 injured
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A train accident in Central Fresno left one person dead and another with serious injuries. And police are still trying to figure out what led to the tragedy.
The accident happened at Jeanne and Fountain Way - just before four o'clock Wednesday afternoon.
Investigators aren't sure why the man and a woman were walking along the tracks, or why they didn't get out of the way.
Police say the freight train was traveling about 60 miles an hour at the time.
The woman died after being struck by the train, and the man was taken to Community Regional Medical Center.
Lt. Mike Doyle said, "This has happened before where individuals walking on the train do get caught in a narrow area and think there's clearance but there is equipment from the train that does stick out, it probably took them by surprise."
The accident caused rail traffic through Fresno to back up for several hours.
Two Amtrak trains also experienced delays, and passengers on one train were stuck on the tracks for nearly an hour and a half.
accident, fresno central, fresno, fresno county, local, stephanie stone
- Ryan Rodriquez found safe in Fresno County
- Merced Co. industrial explosion kills 1, injures 2 24 min ago
- Chief Dyer testifies in excessive force trial
- Merced Co. District Attorney Warns of IRS Phone Scam
- Grieving Merced husband and father talks to ABC30 29 min ago
- 3 rescued from Fresno apartment fire
- Fresno police target gangs in new operation
- Farmers markets hit by freeze
- Fresno Co. supervisors OK preliminary marijuana ban
- SF Giants pitcher inspired by Batkid to give
- Man shot several times in Central Fresno
- NTSB: Asiana captain worried about visual landing
- 2010 Greyhound Bus crash lawsuit settled
- Ex-Fresno paralegal found guilty of murder
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos