Train accident in Central Fresno, 1 dead, 1 injured
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A train accident in Central Fresno left one person dead and another with serious injuries. And police are still trying to figure out what led to the tragedy.
The accident happened at Jeanne and Fountain Way - just before four o'clock Wednesday afternoon.
Investigators aren't sure why the man and a woman were walking along the tracks, or why they didn't get out of the way.
Police say the freight train was traveling about 60 miles an hour at the time.
The woman died after being struck by the train, and the man was taken to Community Regional Medical Center.
Lt. Mike Doyle said, "This has happened before where individuals walking on the train do get caught in a narrow area and think there's clearance but there is equipment from the train that does stick out, it probably took them by surprise."
The accident caused rail traffic through Fresno to back up for several hours.
Two Amtrak trains also experienced delays, and passengers on one train were stuck on the tracks for nearly an hour and a half.
accident, fresno central, fresno, fresno county, local, stephanie stone
- Authorities investigate a shooting in Madera County 31 min ago
- Los Angeles police arrest man in severed head case 32 min ago
- USGS: 6.9 earthquake hits 50 miles west of Eureka
- Calif. emissions law could make gas prices jump
- Police: Man killed in Fresno gang-related shooting
- Man accused of killing Parlier coach identified
- Cornell president named new head of Smithsonian
- Investigators chase 'every angle' in missing jet
- Bees attack drivers after SoCal car crash
- Man holds out atop roof of San Diego FBI building
- Toddler uses FaceTime to help mom after dog bite
- 1 arrested, 1 sought after Visalia Save Mart robbery
- Woman fatally shot by Fresno police identified
- Mexico government 100 pct sure drug capo killed