Train accident in Central Fresno, 1 dead, 1 injured
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A train accident in Central Fresno left one person dead and another with serious injuries. And police are still trying to figure out what led to the tragedy.
The accident happened at Jeanne and Fountain Way - just before four o'clock Wednesday afternoon.
Investigators aren't sure why the man and a woman were walking along the tracks, or why they didn't get out of the way.
Police say the freight train was traveling about 60 miles an hour at the time.
The woman died after being struck by the train, and the man was taken to Community Regional Medical Center.
Lt. Mike Doyle said, "This has happened before where individuals walking on the train do get caught in a narrow area and think there's clearance but there is equipment from the train that does stick out, it probably took them by surprise."
The accident caused rail traffic through Fresno to back up for several hours.
Two Amtrak trains also experienced delays, and passengers on one train were stuck on the tracks for nearly an hour and a half.
accident, fresno central, fresno, fresno county, local, stephanie stone
- Pedestrian killed in Fresno HWY 99 hit and run 7 min ago
- Trial wrapping up for ex-Clovis cop Kyle Pennington
- Man killed in rollover crash near Selma 49 min ago
- Tentative order in fight over Fresno water rate hikes
- HS rumor played role in Dinuba sexual battery case
- Fresno man gets prison in fatal hit-and-run crash
- Teen stowaway remains hospitalized in Hawaii
- New effort to honor Hmong veterans
- Counting down to the Clovis Rodeo
- Fresno Co won't change Williamson Act tax standards
- Firefighters preparing for fire season at Lost Lake Park
- Suspect injures Fresno Police dog, officers say
- SD police guns stolen during LA charity game
- Porterville prepares for Iris Festival
- Day 99 of Rhonda's 100 Day Fitness Challenge
16 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos