Father and kids arrested in bank robberies
HOUSTON -- The arrest of three bank robbery suspects by Fort Bend County Sheriff's Office detectives last week may help clear as many as six other bank robbery cases in two states, authorities say.
On Friday, November 9, deputies arrested Ronald Scott Catt, 50, Hayden Scott Catt, 20, and Abigail "Abby" Catt, 18. They are father, son and daughter, respectively.
The suspects are accused of robbing the 1st Community Credit Union on Monday, October 1. The bank is located in the 23100 block of Cinco Ranch Blvd. in the Katy area.
The two men entered the bank wearing orange traffic vests and dark sunglasses and held employees at gunpoint. The younger suspect wore a fake mustache and the older suspect wore a painter's mask, officials say. Abby Catt allegedly drove the getaway vehicle.
The father and son were arrested at an apartment in the 300 block of Dominion in the Katy area. Both men have bonds of $140,000 and remain in the Fort Bend County Jail. Abby Catt was arrested later that day at the Sheriff's Office. She has a $100,000 bond.
Detectives focused on the emergency protective vests the suspects wore at the 1st Community Credit Union robbery. They visited the Home Depot in Rosenberg -- the closest Home Depot to the Sheriff's Office -- to see what they had on the shelf and found one that closely resembles the vests worn by the suspects. The most important factor on the vests was the X on the back, which narrowed the search field.
The two male suspects were further linked to the August robbery of a Comerica Bank, located at I-10 and Fry Road in Harris County, officials say. In that case, the suspects wore painter outfits with painter masks.
Between the two robberies, detectives picked up on a stolen license plate case at Kingsland Boulevard and West Green in the Katy area, so they believed the suspects might be situated in the vicinity.
With that information, detectives checked the Home Depot at Fry Road and I-10, and while viewing videotapes at the checkout counters, they identified Hayden and Abby Catt purchasing the vests with their father's debit card. Ronald Catt was later videotaped purchasing a painter's mask.
After interviews were completed, detectives believe the suspects may be connected to five bank robbery cases in the Portland, Oregon, area. The family is originally from Oregon.
Fort Bend detectives have notified Oregon authorities to see if some of the cases in the Portland area match up with this new information.
- Police: Man killed in Fresno gang-related shooting
- Vietnam says cannot find object from missing jet
- Man accused of killing Parlier coach identified
- 1 arrested, 1 sought after Visalia Save Mart robbery
- Woman fatally shot by Fresno police identified
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- New Target store opens in Northwest Fresno 11 min ago
- Pistorius trial: Stunning testimony in 1st week
- Putin defends separatist drive in Crimea as legal
- Lions owner William Clay Ford dies at 88
- Parlier youth football team mourns slain coach
- Fresno PD: Man hit by vehicle while jaywalking
- Mayor Rob Ford gets daylight saving time wrong
- 3D printer and Twitter used to make Oreo cookies