Charges filed against men accused in Mariposa robbery
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Charges have been filed against the four men accused in the more than $1 million heist at the Mariposa Mining and Mineral Museum.
Investigators say Edward Rushing, Matthew Campbell, Jonathan Matis, and Christopher Sheffield stole gold and gems.
The complaint is extensive. There's a whole host of charges including conspiracy and obviously burglary and robbery but the paperwork also details a discussion between the museum employees and one of the suspects.
The 15 page complaint says the conspiracy to hold up the museum started about a week before the heist.
In fact the suspects went into the park as visitors, walked through the museum and at one point even asked an employee for a flashlight.
We now know it was suspect Matthew Campbell who walked through the mining tunnel exhibit in the dark.
A week later, on September 28th, witnesses told officers that two men smashed the display cases with a pick axe before making off with more than a million dollars of historic gold and gems.
All four suspects were arrested in 3 different Northern California counties. We now know three of them have extensive criminal histories and the court documents allow special allegations for their prior convictions.
Meanwhile at the museum it's only been back open for a week with high security, armed park rangers and employees trying to get back to business as usual.
We're told the suspects will be here to face a judge on Monday. Action News did ask for the search warrants-to get details about the investigation but it's been ordered sealed.
mariposa, mariposa county, crimetracker, robbery, local, stephanie stone
- 1 dead, 1 arrested after NW Fresno shooting 4 min ago
- Deputies shoot, kill suspect west of Fresno
- Man arrested for exposing himself in front of kids
- 10 more bodies found inside South Korean ferry 33 min ago
- 2 Fresno men arrested in NY for heroin possession
- 13th body pulled from snow in Everest avalanche
- Strong earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea
- Credit card skimming device found at gas station
- Merced County swears in nation's 1st Hmong judge
- California regulators propose coyote-killing ban 46 min ago
- More Latino than white students admitted to UC 54 min ago
- Suspects sought after man stabbed in Parlier
- Man accused of molesting minor, having child porn
- Easter Brunch recipe
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos