Charges filed against men accused in Mariposa robbery
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Charges have been filed against the four men accused in the more than $1 million heist at the Mariposa Mining and Mineral Museum.
Investigators say Edward Rushing, Matthew Campbell, Jonathan Matis, and Christopher Sheffield stole gold and gems.
The complaint is extensive. There's a whole host of charges including conspiracy and obviously burglary and robbery but the paperwork also details a discussion between the museum employees and one of the suspects.
The 15 page complaint says the conspiracy to hold up the museum started about a week before the heist.
In fact the suspects went into the park as visitors, walked through the museum and at one point even asked an employee for a flashlight.
We now know it was suspect Matthew Campbell who walked through the mining tunnel exhibit in the dark.
A week later, on September 28th, witnesses told officers that two men smashed the display cases with a pick axe before making off with more than a million dollars of historic gold and gems.
All four suspects were arrested in 3 different Northern California counties. We now know three of them have extensive criminal histories and the court documents allow special allegations for their prior convictions.
Meanwhile at the museum it's only been back open for a week with high security, armed park rangers and employees trying to get back to business as usual.
We're told the suspects will be here to face a judge on Monday. Action News did ask for the search warrants-to get details about the investigation but it's been ordered sealed.
mariposa, mariposa county, crimetracker, robbery, local, stephanie stone
- USC routs No. 21 Fresno St 45-20 in Las Vegas Bowl 33 min ago
- Teen who was shot at Colorado school dies 57 min ago
- Madera family files claim against city of Los Angeles
- Judge orders hospital to keep teen on support
- Fresno Poverello House in need of toys for kids
- Fresno State program gets students interested in STEM classes
- Parlier students get iPad Airs
- Ryann Jones found guilty of second degree murder
- Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl: Chance for 'Dogs to break bowl...
- Fire burns Three Rivers landmark
- Valley stores open extra hour for holiday rush
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- Man charged in Elbow Room fight pleads not guilty
- Obama: 2014 can be breakthrough year for US
- Accuweather Forecast
22 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos