Valley doctor dead after Northeast Fresno crash
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A Valley doctor is dead after being hit by a car in Northeast Fresno Friday night.
The accident happened at the intersection of Shepherd and Champlain just after 11 p.m.
Officers say a man and a woman were crossing the street when a car hit the woman.
Witnesses tried to perform CPR but she later died at the hospital.
Action News has learned the victim is 30-year-old Dr. Melissa Dowd. Action News interviewed her for a story about first-year doctors back in June.
Dowd was a resident in the UC San Francisco - Fresno emergency medicine program. She told Action News she was from Virginia and wanted to be a trauma surgeon.
On Saturday a small memorial marked the spot where Dowd was hit. Investigators say it appears she may have been crossing the street against a red light.
Both people in the car that hit her are coopering with the investigation.
The director for the UCSF Fresno medical education program released a statement Saturday.
It says: "on behalf of the UCSF Fresno family, we are deeply saddened and heartbroken by the death of one of our emergency medicine residents."
It goes on to say, "in a short amount of time, she touched the lives of her peers, nurses and patients in a meaningful way. We extend our deepest sympathies to her family and friends. Our thoughts and prayers are with them."
fresno, fresno county, fresno northeast, accident, local
- USC defeats Fresno St 45-20 in Las Vegas Bowl 45 min ago
- Teen who was shot at Colorado school dies 25 min ago
- Madera family files claim against city of Los Angeles
- Judge orders hospital to keep teen on support
- Fresno Poverello House in need of toys for kids
- Fresno State program gets students interested in STEM classes
- Parlier students get iPad Airs
- Ryann Jones found guilty of second degree murder
- Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl: Chance for 'Dogs to break bowl...
- Fire burns Three Rivers landmark
- Valley stores open extra hour for holiday rush
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- Man charged in Elbow Room fight pleads not guilty
- Obama: 2014 can be breakthrough year for US
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos