Valley doctor dead after Northeast Fresno crash
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A Valley doctor is dead after being hit by a car in Northeast Fresno Friday night.
The accident happened at the intersection of Shepherd and Champlain just after 11 p.m.
Officers say a man and a woman were crossing the street when a car hit the woman.
Witnesses tried to perform CPR but she later died at the hospital.
Action News has learned the victim is 30-year-old Dr. Melissa Dowd. Action News interviewed her for a story about first-year doctors back in June.
Dowd was a resident in the UC San Francisco - Fresno emergency medicine program. She told Action News she was from Virginia and wanted to be a trauma surgeon.
On Saturday a small memorial marked the spot where Dowd was hit. Investigators say it appears she may have been crossing the street against a red light.
Both people in the car that hit her are coopering with the investigation.
The director for the UCSF Fresno medical education program released a statement Saturday.
It says: "on behalf of the UCSF Fresno family, we are deeply saddened and heartbroken by the death of one of our emergency medicine residents."
It goes on to say, "in a short amount of time, she touched the lives of her peers, nurses and patients in a meaningful way. We extend our deepest sympathies to her family and friends. Our thoughts and prayers are with them."
fresno, fresno county, fresno northeast, accident, local
- Woman dies in NE Fresno officer-involved shooting
- Parlier man shot and killed; neighbor arrested
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard
- Crews battle large fire at Fresno County warehouse
- Man dies after being hit by train in Downtown Fresno
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Man who inspired Three Strikes law may be sentenced under it
- Fresno PD: Man sitting in street struck, killed by car
- Unemployment figures: Slight economic improvement
- California jury deadlocks in ex-NFL player's death
- Near drownings on the rise
- Students take part in robot competition in Madera
- SubCom companies thinking inside the box
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals