Valley doctor dead after Northeast Fresno crash
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A Valley doctor is dead after being hit by a car in Northeast Fresno Friday night.
The accident happened at the intersection of Shepherd and Champlain just after 11 p.m.
Officers say a man and a woman were crossing the street when a car hit the woman.
Witnesses tried to perform CPR but she later died at the hospital.
Action News has learned the victim is 30-year-old Dr. Melissa Dowd. Action News interviewed her for a story about first-year doctors back in June.
Dowd was a resident in the UC San Francisco - Fresno emergency medicine program. She told Action News she was from Virginia and wanted to be a trauma surgeon.
On Saturday a small memorial marked the spot where Dowd was hit. Investigators say it appears she may have been crossing the street against a red light.
Both people in the car that hit her are coopering with the investigation.
The director for the UCSF Fresno medical education program released a statement Saturday.
It says: "on behalf of the UCSF Fresno family, we are deeply saddened and heartbroken by the death of one of our emergency medicine residents."
It goes on to say, "in a short amount of time, she touched the lives of her peers, nurses and patients in a meaningful way. We extend our deepest sympathies to her family and friends. Our thoughts and prayers are with them."
fresno, fresno county, fresno northeast, accident, local
- Search continues for Tulare County OIS suspect 6 min ago
- Senator: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Crimea's parliament pushes for independence
- California AG promotes bills to reduce truancy
- Vet saves poisoned dog with vodka
- Obama's surprise turn on 'Between Two Ferns'
- Trash dispute apparently led to fatal shooting
- Interpol shows image of 2 Iranians on missing jet
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Robot helps in design of High-Speed Rail
- George the Giraffe thanks kind students
- 'Sextortion' suspect set for freedom
- Search widens for missing Malaysian passenger jet
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos