Valley doctor dead after Northeast Fresno crash
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A Valley doctor is dead after being hit by a car in Northeast Fresno Friday night.
The accident happened at the intersection of Shepherd and Champlain just after 11 p.m.
Officers say a man and a woman were crossing the street when a car hit the woman.
Witnesses tried to perform CPR but she later died at the hospital.
Action News has learned the victim is 30-year-old Dr. Melissa Dowd. Action News interviewed her for a story about first-year doctors back in June.
Dowd was a resident in the UC San Francisco - Fresno emergency medicine program. She told Action News she was from Virginia and wanted to be a trauma surgeon.
On Saturday a small memorial marked the spot where Dowd was hit. Investigators say it appears she may have been crossing the street against a red light.
Both people in the car that hit her are coopering with the investigation.
The director for the UCSF Fresno medical education program released a statement Saturday.
It says: "on behalf of the UCSF Fresno family, we are deeply saddened and heartbroken by the death of one of our emergency medicine residents."
It goes on to say, "in a short amount of time, she touched the lives of her peers, nurses and patients in a meaningful way. We extend our deepest sympathies to her family and friends. Our thoughts and prayers are with them."
fresno, fresno county, fresno northeast, accident, local
- FS hires White as new Women's Basketball Coach 44 min ago
- Two killed in shooting near Exeter
- FFD: Squatters likely causing dangerous fires
- Recycled water may ease drought concerns
- Lemoore considers tough water rules
- 4 dead, 292 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- New twist in case of murdered Fresno sex offender
- Boston police safely blow up suspicious backpacks
- Job seekers interview for the world's...
- VIRAL VIDEO: Kids try to use a Walkman
- Police say 5 dead in Calgary stabbings
- Pro-Russian insurgents seize armored vehicles
- China's growth slows to 7.4 percent in 1Q
- Bank of America posts loss, hurt by legal expenses