Man arrested after exchanging fire with police
HOUSTON -- Shots were exchanged between a man and a Houston police officer Sunday night, leading to a struggle that ended with the man in custody and facing charges for attempted murder.
It all happened at an apartment complex in the 6900 block of Old North Belt near Beltway 8 and Old Humble Road, east of the Eastex Freeway.
Police were called to the complex around 6:35pm after reports of a man firing a weapon on the grounds, officials said.
According to investigators, the first officer who arrived at the scene -- who officials tell us is a rookie --was fired on immediately with bullets striking his patrol car three times.
He fired back at the suspect, but officials said no one was hit during the exchange.
Police said the suspect then ran and fell, dropping his gun. The officer and suspect got into struggle, but the was reportedly able to subdue the man with a Taser gun.
The suspect was transported to an area hospital to be checked out and then released into police custody.
His gun was recovered, police said.
Brouchea Lemond Edwards, 37, is charged with attempted capital murder of a police officer.
Officer J.J. Garcia, who discharged his duty weapon in the incident, was not injured. Officer Garcia, assigned to the Northeast Patrol Division, was sworn in as an officer in December 2011.
HPD says as is customary when an HPD officer discharges a weapon in the city limits, the incident is being investigated by the HPD Homicide and Internal Affairs divisions.
- Teacher shot at Edison High School in Fresno
- Spencer Scarber denied new trial in rape case
- SoCal tour bus crash injures 22, kills 1
- Operation Bulldog cracks down on gang members
- Patriarch off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- City of Fresno hiring to help city development
- Dozens injured at partial London theater collapse
- Murders, car thefts, robberies up in Visalia other crimes down
- In-N-Out opens in Hanford
- Figure skating champ Boitano says he's gay
- Police arrest escaped Merced C.O. Jail inmate
- Target: 40M card accounts may be breached
- New Mexico Supreme Court: Same-sex marriage legal
- Elderly woman critically injured in Fresno house fire
abc30.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos