Man arrested after exchanging fire with police
HOUSTON -- Shots were exchanged between a man and a Houston police officer Sunday night, leading to a struggle that ended with the man in custody and facing charges for attempted murder.
It all happened at an apartment complex in the 6900 block of Old North Belt near Beltway 8 and Old Humble Road, east of the Eastex Freeway.
Police were called to the complex around 6:35pm after reports of a man firing a weapon on the grounds, officials said.
According to investigators, the first officer who arrived at the scene -- who officials tell us is a rookie --was fired on immediately with bullets striking his patrol car three times.
He fired back at the suspect, but officials said no one was hit during the exchange.
Police said the suspect then ran and fell, dropping his gun. The officer and suspect got into struggle, but the was reportedly able to subdue the man with a Taser gun.
The suspect was transported to an area hospital to be checked out and then released into police custody.
His gun was recovered, police said.
Brouchea Lemond Edwards, 37, is charged with attempted capital murder of a police officer.
Officer J.J. Garcia, who discharged his duty weapon in the incident, was not injured. Officer Garcia, assigned to the Northeast Patrol Division, was sworn in as an officer in December 2011.
HPD says as is customary when an HPD officer discharges a weapon in the city limits, the incident is being investigated by the HPD Homicide and Internal Affairs divisions.
- Man dies following shooting at Fresno apartment 14 min ago
- SoCal nurse in critical condition after stabbing 40 min ago
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Transcript reveals confusion over ferry evacuation
- Fresno 4/20 event fires up health advocates
- Deputies shoot, kill man after high-speed chase
- 1 dead, 1 arrested after NW Fresno shooting
- FLIR video captures end of Tulare County chase
- Police arrest 2 suspects in Merced shooting
- 13th body pulled from snow in Everest avalanche
- NASA: Engineer vital to moon landing success dies
- Chopper drops 2,600 golf balls for a good cause
- Blackbeard's hosts large Easter egg hunt
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart