HCSO: Drunk dad with kid in vehicle fatally strikes another driver
HOUSTON -- Investigators say a man was drunk and driving with his son when he hit a vehicle and killed another driver.
Just before 8pm Sunday, Harris County Sheriff's deputies say Shannon Smith was traveling southbound in the 9800 block of Barker Cypress in the first lane of traffic and passed a slower-moving vehicle. Smith failed to drive in a single marked lane, striking the slower vehicle, investigators say.
Smith then lost control of his vehicle, causing the vehicle to enter into the oncoming lanes of traffic, and striking another vehicle which was traveling northbound in the 9800 block of Barker Cypress.
The male victim suffered life-threatening injuries and died at the scene.
Investigators say Smith, who had his 10-year-old son in the vehicle with him at the time of the crash, was found to be intoxicated. He was charged with intoxication manslaughter and DWI with child passenger, both felonies.
- New details unfold in fatal Fresno PD shooting 40 min ago
- Amber Alert canceled: Long Beach boy found safe 44 min ago
- Authorities investigate a shooting in Chowchilla
- USGS: 6.9 earthquake hits 50 miles west of Eureka
- Calif. emissions law could make gas prices jump
- Electricity problems hit Fresno Co. Sheriff's Office 11 min ago
- Los Angeles police arrest man in severed head case
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Russia warns Ukraine over 'lawlessness' in east
- Police: Man killed in Fresno gang-related shooting
- Man accused of killing Parlier coach identified
- Cornell president named new head of Smithsonian
- Bees attack drivers after SoCal car crash
- Man holds out atop roof of San Diego FBI building
- New details unfold in fatal Fresno PD...
44 min ago