HLSR donates $250,000 to Memorial Park for reforestation
HOUSTON -- The Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo awarded $250,000 to the Memorial Park Conservancy for reforestation of the iconic Houston landmark.
"Memorial Park has been the home of our trail riders for nearly 60 years, and many of our 28,000 volunteers are Houstonians who consider the park a wonderful recreation area year-round," said Show Chairman of the Board R.H. "Steve" Stevens Jr. "Reforestation efforts span the state of Texas, which was hit so hard by the drought in 2011. We have scholarship students majoring in forestry, horticulture, parks and recreation, land use and planning, and other related subjects, helping with these efforts state-wide."
The Memorial Park Conservancy is one of nearly 40 Texas educational program grants supported by the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo Educational Fund.
"We are thrilled with the support from the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo," said Jim Porter, chairman of the board of Memorial Park Conservancy. "This very generous donation will allow the Conservancy to continue our reforestation efforts and further our mission to restore, preserve and enhance Memorial Park for the enjoyment of all Houstonians, today and tomorrow."
This financial support is part of the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo's 2013 educational commitment of more than $24 million, which also includes scholarships to Texas high school students, support of young livestock exhibitors, funding for a variety of leadership opportunities for young Texans, and more.
The 2013 Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo runs Feb. 25 through March 17.
houston livestock show and rodeo, local
- Ryann Jones found guilty of second degree murder
- Man charged in Elbow Room fight pleads not guilty
- Judge orders hospital to keep teen on support
- Obama: 2014 can be breakthrough year for US
- Spencer Scarber denied new trial in rape case
- 2-year-old shot in the thigh in Atwater
- Edison High School ROP teacher shot in classroom 56 min ago
- NorCal teen brain-dead after tonsil surgery
- Authorities file charges in Elbow Room fight
- Wheels of Hope awards Valley family a new car
- 3 men die in sauna after drinking at Christmas party
- Serial killer missing after good behavior pass to see mom
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport
- Teen shot on Third St. and Kadota Ave in Atwater
- Police search for suspects who shot a...
56 min ago
abc30.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos