Tequila bottles filled with meth seized in the Valley
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A major drug bust on Monday uncovered hundreds of thousands of dollars' worth of methamphetamine being smuggled down interstate 5.
The California Highway Patrol seized more than 50 pounds of "liquid meth" on the highway in Coalinga at 10 a.m.
Only our cameras caught a man who California Highway Patrol identified as 20-year-old Rene Diaz as he was handcuffed and taken into the back of a patrol car. CHP says his accomplice was 38 year old Veronica Carrasco who was also arrested. Investigators say the two worked together to transport 56 pounds of liquid methamphetamine hidden in these tequila bottles. They're estimating the value of the seized methamphetamine at more than half a million dollars. Investigators believe the two had plans to travel from Southern California to Oregon.
"At this level of amount, it is going to be distributed all over the place. Once it gets to the final form, the powdered form, it's going to be disseminated throughout the country," said CHP's Matt Radke.
The bust happened during a traffic stop after an officer noticed both the suspects seemed nervous. A drug sniffing dog also picked up on the scent. Highway patrol says the transport of meth in liquid form is a new trend. "In the past I-5 has been though as the main corridor but you can find it on 99 and I-5; pretty much every major thorough fare through the state of California," said Radke.
Members of the Fresno Meth Task force say the drugs are often made by Mexican cartels. Radke said, "These two suspects gave indications of basically just being transporters for whoever they are working for and a lot of times in these instances they don't know each other. They have valid licenses to transport."
Both will now face federal drug trafficking charges across state lines.
crimetracker, drug bust, coalinga, fresno county, fresno, local, mariana jacob
- USGS: 6.9 earthquake hits 50 miles west of Eureka
- Calif. emissions law could make gas prices jump
- Police: Man killed in Fresno gang-related shooting
- Man accused of killing Parlier coach identified
- Investigators chase 'every angle' in missing jet
- Toddler uses FaceTime to help mom after dog bite
- 1 arrested, 1 sought after Visalia Save Mart robbery
- Woman fatally shot by Fresno police identified
- Mexico government 100 pct sure drug capo killed
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- New Target store opens in Northwest Fresno
- Pistorius trial: Stunning testimony in 1st week
- Putin defends separatist drive in Crimea as legal
- Lions owner William Clay Ford dies at 88