Thanksgiving in Lemoore is a community event
LEMOORE, Calif. (KFSN) -- In Lemoore, the Thanksgiving holiday really turns into a community event. This year nearly 2,000 people came out to enjoy a hot Thanksgiving meal and welcoming company.
On Thanksgiving day, while many are feasting on a turkey they baked in their oven at home, others in the South Valley head to the Lemoore Senior Center for camaraderie and a turkey meal with all the fixings.
"We started in the year 2000 just a small group of citizens put together our first dinner we served 200 people that year," Sharon Kendall said. "We served 1800 last year."
Sharon Kendall is president of the group that organizes the annual event. She, her parents and family help
Kendall said, "I have a daughter that's 10 years old and she knows no other type of Thanksgiving so it is something that we look forward to."
Kendall's family and a group of volunteers provide Thanksgiving meals for people who have all types of needs during the holidays. From those who don't have the money to buy a Thanksgiving meal, to people who may have the money but are alone on the holidays, this free event brings the community together.
Chef James Lohry volunteers his time cooking 700 pounds of turkey and 400 pounds of ham for the meals.
Lohry said, "You get to see the same faces again and again and the only time you get to see them is thanksgiving so it's nice."
Johnathan Roa said, "They're eating their faces off so I'm guessing they're having a good time."
Roa brought his 7-year-old twin sisters to the Thanksgiving event. He says he's thankful that Lemoore has generous people that give back to their community.
Roa said, "It's very nice especially for people who don't have money to afford to eat on Thanksgiving I'm very thankful they have this for the community."
Organizers of this event say they could not have put this together without the nearly 200 volunteers and hundreds of food donations from the community.
holiday, lemoore, kings county, local, jessica peres
- Woman dies in NE Fresno officer-involved shooting
- Parlier man shot and killed; neighbor arrested
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard
- Crews battle large fire at Fresno County warehouse
- Man dies after being hit by train in Downtown Fresno
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Man who inspired Three Strikes law may be sentenced under it
- Fresno PD: Man sitting in street struck, killed by car
- Unemployment figures: Slight economic improvement
- California jury deadlocks in ex-NFL player's death
- Near drownings on the rise
- Students take part in robot competition in Madera
- SubCom companies thinking inside the box
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos