Merced County man is cleaning up his community
MERCED COUNTY, Calif. (KFSN) -- A Merced County man is cleaning up his community one road at a time, and inspiring others to join him.
Peter Ardison's mission started over the summer when he noticed a lot of trash lining Bellevue Road near his home. He also realized public clean-up crews were stretched thin.
So, he contacted the county and offered to help. Officials gladly gave him garbage bags and litter sticks. He spent weeks cleaning that road and then recently moved on to part of G Street, leading to UC Merced. Several members of the Merced Rescue Mission pitched in to help.
"It made me feel real good," Ardison said. "I worked with them this summer, and I worked with the homeless also, I gave out water on hot days, and it's just a passion I have to give back."
Now Ardison has his sights set on cleaning up a stretch of north Highway 59, which is especially dirty because it leads to the dump.
He's hoping to recruit dozens of UC Merced students and local businesses to help beautify their community.
merced county, merced, u.c. merced, local, sara sandrik
- USGS: 6.9 earthquake hits 50 miles west of Eureka
- Vietnam says cannot find object from missing jet
- Police: Man killed in Fresno gang-related shooting
- 1 arrested, 1 sought after Visalia Save Mart robbery
- Man accused of killing Parlier coach identified
- Woman fatally shot by Fresno police identified
- Mexico government 100 pct sure drug capo killed
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- New Target store opens in Northwest Fresno
- Pistorius trial: Stunning testimony in 1st week
- Putin defends separatist drive in Crimea as legal
- Lions owner William Clay Ford dies at 88
- Free health care enrollment fair held in Fresno
- 3D printer and Twitter used to make Oreo cookies
- Calif. emissions law could make gas prices...
20 min ago