Thieves steal from small church in Alvin
ALVIN, TX -- A small church reeling from a recent burglary was devastated this weekend when thieves targeted their sanctuary for a second time
Church members say they have been saving up money to expand the Road Of Life Church, located in the 29000 block of Highway 6 in Alvin, but they are now struggling after being hit by thieves -- twice.
According to members, thieves took large speakers, music equipment, projection equipment and more. They estimate damages at around $6,000.
The small church of about 40 members just moved into a trailer so they could begin to expand, but financial setbacks keep coming.
Members tell us they had saved money to purchase a security system, but another break-in last week left them with some equipment missing from their well.
They church had to pay $750 to repair the well so they would have water, so they weren't able to purchase the security system that could have saved them from this weekend's burglary.
"For somebody to come into a church and do that makes it even harder," member Juli Hill said. "And for us to work so hard from yard sales to bake sales to get here to do this. And eveybody knows we're just a little small church.
The church started in a tent about a year ago. They've since grown into a trailer and have been raising money to build a bigger facility.
The congregation has even collected aluminum cans to raise money for their building. They say these setbacks will not stop them.
The church went forward with Sunday morning and evening worship services.
If you have any information on these thefts, you are asked to call the Brazoria County Sheriff's Office.
local, christine dobbyn
- Man arrested for beating outside Elbow Room 51 min ago
- Fatal car accident kills pedestrian in Merced
- Valley farmers see minimal damage to citrus crops
- Fresno State to play USC Las Vegas Bowl
- New Jersey restaurant parts ways with gay waitress 36 min ago
- Avatars helping athletes 26 min ago
- Costly headphone disappoints 22 min ago
- 2 arrested in Tulare Co for allegedly shooting man several times 40 min ago
- 4 displaced after Central Fresno house fire 45 min ago
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands
- Rain could pose threat to Valley orange crops
- Toys for Tots Marathon Weekend 2013
- Low elevation snow catches some off guard
- Ukraine sees largest anti-govt protest since 2004
- Consumer Watch: Costly headphone disappoints
24 min ago
- New Jersey restaurant parts ways with gay...
57 min ago