HPD: 19 suspected illegal immigrants found in house
HOUSTON -- Houston police were called to an assault Sunday night and ended up finding more than a dozen suspected illegal immigrants in a house, officials said.
It happened at a home in the 9300 block of Klondike at Easthaven in southeast Houston around 1:15pm.
Police said they arrived at the scene looking for a man who was injured during an assault, but he was gone. Instead, they found 19 people in the home.
"When we got here we learned that there was information that there may be people being held, possibly against their will," HPD Sgt. George Mixon said.
According to police, they are possibly from Honduras, Mexico and Guatemala. They range in age from late teens to 20s.
"We actually have now 19 people in custody that are going to be transferred to Immigration and Customs Enforcement personnel," Mixon said.
Investigators said the man who was allegedly assaulted has not been located. Police are looking for him.
"That was one that actually left the scene We've got to look out for them," Mixon said. "We don't have any information on them at this time."
ICE is investigating. Please stay with Eyewitness News and abc13.com for updates.
- Final Crimea count: 97 percent back Russia
- Merced PD looks for witnesses to deadly shooting
- Final words from jet came after systems shutdown
- LA police say no leads in abduction of 4 kids
- Ukrainians in Fresno react to Crimea vote
- Child may be to blame for Fresno garage fire
- Crash sends Fresno police car into canal
- 16 killed in stampedes for jobs in Nigeria
- Merced police seek help to catch armed robber
- Magnitude-6.7 quake hits Chile's northern coast
- Consumer Reports: Skip extended car warranties
- Diamond 'Dogs swept by New Mexico
- 'Dogs women's, men's hoops set for postseason
- Oprah Winfrey to sell Harpo Studios in Chicago
abc30.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos