Lawsuit filed against ex-Central HS coach and the city of Fresno in fatal hit-run
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The family of a little boy who was killed in a hit and run accident is now holding both the city and the driver responsible in a wrongful death lawsuit.
Donovan Maldonado, 7, was riding his bicycle across Shepard Avenue between Millbrook and Perrin on July 25th. He was with his family when he was struck and killed; his father and sister suffered major injuries.
Attorney Warren Paboojian says the crosswalk spanning Shepard Avenue was poorly designed. He said, "It's a combination of lighting, signage and the design of the crosswalk where it's at." He also says it contributed to the child's death. Court paperwork states, at the time of the accident, "The City of Fresno knew, or should have known, that it negligently planned, designed, constructed, maintained and or managed a dangerous condition." He also stated, "It really doesn't need to be there, there's no real purpose for it needs to be taken out and everyone who lives in that area understands that."
The lawsuit also holds Loren LeBeau responsible. The former Central High School Basketball Coach pled not guilty in criminal court. LeBeau's attorney Jeff Hammerschmidt, told Action News, "City of Fresno needs to accept its portion of the responsibility for the accident, which should include closing the crosswalk or making it substantially safer."
In the documents, Paboojian is asking for damages, fees and compensation for the Maldonado family. "The clients have substantial medical bills in the past and future some of this is to compensate medical bills in addition to their pain and suffering."
Local residents who live near the crosswalk say Shepard Avenue has become an extremely busy thoroughfare and some feel residents will cross with or without the crosswalk.
Attorneys for the city of Fresno say they've not actually seen the lawsuit and are withholding comment until they have a chance to look at it.
crimetracker, dui, lawsuit, fresno, court, fresno county, local, stephanie stone
- One person shot near the ice rink at the Fulton Mall
- Amber Alert issued for 14-year-old Kennewick Girl
- Two of three missing Dinuba children found safe
- Nelson Mandela has died at the age of 95
- Candlelight Christmas Tractor Parade and Wine Stroll
- Effort to complete Herndon bike trail underway
- Teenage serial burglar, 14, arrested in Merced
- Wanted Fresno burglar caught on camera
- Body of missing Delano woman found in canal
- Two injured in Madera drive-by shooting
- American teacher shot dead in Libya's Benghazi
- US economy grows at 3.6 percent rate in 3rd quarter
- Foothill residents preparing for freezing temps
- US jobless claims drop to 316,000, as layoffs slow
- Fire Safety