2 traffic collisions in Madera Co leave 3 dead
MADERA COUNTY, Calif. (KFSN) -- Investigators say fog may have been a factor in two vehicle collisions near Chowchilla.
CHP said all three victims are from San Jose. A male driver and two female passengers died in the crash.
Investigators said the first accident happened at 7:55 Tuesday morning when a semi-truck made left turn from Highway 152 onto Road 16 when it was clipped by a second big rig carrying cotton bales. Officers say visibility at the time was between 100 and 200 feet due to fog.
Moments later, another truck caused a secondary crash when CHP officials say the driver of a container truck swerved to avoid the first crash. Investigators say that driver went into the oncoming lanes and hit a Honda Accord, killing three people.
"The fog is partially to blame due to visibility -- and a right of way violation in the first collision. The second... driver attempted to avoid a collision which caused the second collision," said Mark Cosentino, California Highway Patrol.
The accidents did snarl traffic along Highway 152 for several hours while crews cleaned up the scene.
chowchilla, madera county, accident, local, sontaya rose
- 'Sextortion' suspect set for freedom
- Stolen passports probed in Malaysian plane mystery
- Trash dispute apparently led to fatal shooting
- New details unfold in fatal Fresno PD shooting
- Madera Co. shooting tied to drugs, investigators say
- Homeowners asked to prepare for busy fire season 40 min ago
- Los Angeles police arrest man in severed head case
- Amber Alert canceled: Long Beach boy found safe
- Electricity problems hit Fresno Co. Sheriff's Office
- PlayStation 4's faulty parental controls
- Russia warns Ukraine over 'lawlessness' in east
- Calif. emissions law could make gas prices jump
- USGS: 6.9 earthquake hits 50 miles west of Eureka
- Photos: Pictures from Malaysia Airlines incident