Accomplice in Chowchilla kidnapping denied parole
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Convicted kidnapper Fred Woods, 61, was denied parole for another three years. It comes as a sigh of relief to many of the victims who argued this was a horrific crime and Woods hasn't spent enough time behind bars to be rehabilitated, but not all of the victims share the same opinion.
Larry Park was just 6 years old when he, his sister and 24 other school children were kidnapped at gunpoint by three masked men in Chowchilla, forced into a moving van and taken to a rock quarry in Livermore where they were buried alive for 16 horrifying hours.
"You know, it is traumatic," Park said. "I'm still not a big fan of the dark, although I don't find it necessary to sleep with a night light on anymore."
"I am no longer going to the parole hearings to keep him in prison," Park said. "I'm not willing to advocate for his release, but I'm just done."
Done, while others fight to keep Woods in prison. Several weeks ago, a group of victims gathered at a warehouse where the school bus is now stored to bring attention to his scheduled hearing. They told us they're fearful of Woods being released on parole. Especially after Shoenfeld was let out this past June. Park says he's moved on.
Park said, "Whether they keep him or let him go, it doesn't matter anymore."
But admits he wasn't always that way.
"In 2010, I was sitting captive in my apartment afraid to leave it because I thought I was going to be a serial killer," Park said. "I had so much hatred in my heart, I didn't want to leave my apartment. That's not life, that's not living."
After being diagnosed with paranoid-schizophrenia two years ago -- he found god -- married and continues to go to therapy. He's also joined a group called Christ Recovery which helped him overcome years of drugs and alcohol abuse. And eventually find peace with what happened to him. He now hopes the others can do the same.
Park added, "I understand the victims that are still hurting from this, because I lived it for 35 years."
crimetracker, kidnapping, chowchilla, madera county, local, linda mumma
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate 21 min ago
- Vigil held for slain Parlier football coach 38 min ago
- 8 kids, 4 adults involved in SW Fresno crash
- Family remembers murder victim, forgetting killer
- Suspected gang members arrested in Winton murder
- FDIC sues 16 big banks that set key rate
- West readies sanctions on Russia after Crimea vote
- Visalia man accused of sexual conduct with boy 16 min ago
- Valley residents seeing more black widow spiders
- Weather to warm up for CA Classic Half-Marathon
- States sue over California's egg laws
- Visalia school unveils new solar structures
- Sailor in iconic WWII photo dies
- 7 health apps you need to know about
- Vigil held for slain Parlier football coach
58 min ago