Madera girl recovering after being hit by crossfire
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Madera Police say a gang-related shooting Wednesday night killed one person and struck an innocent child. The eight-year-old girl was just walking in her neighborhood, when she was hit by gunfire.
Madera Police say the girl was treated at the hospital and is now recovering at her home Thursday morning. They say she is in good spirits, considering what happened.
The shooting claimed the life of a teenager and left two other people wounded. It happened near Tulare and Wessmith around 7 p.m. Wednesday.
Authorities say the girl was walking to the store with her uncle when several shots rang out. Police say it all started with a gang-related fight that escalated into a shooting in a Madera neighborhood. Two men were walking in the area when a car drove up, the suspects got out, and started shooting.
An 18-year-old was shot in the chest and died, another man was wounded, as well as the 8-year-old girl.
Police say the girl was in the wrong place, at the wrong time. "I have spoken with the family at the hospital, she's in good spirits, it's a tragedy that we have an innocent young girl struck by bullets as well," said Steve Frazier, Madera Interim Police Chief.
The 18-year-old man died at the hospital. The other victim is related to the man who was murdered. He was recovering Thursday morning.
Madera Police are still investigating the shooting. They say they have strong leads and are close to identifying the suspects.
madera, madera county, shooting, homicide, murder, crimetracker, gang, local, amanda venegas
- One of Fresno's ten most wanted criminals arrested 4 min ago
- Nobel laureate Gabriel Garcia Marquez dies at 87
- Bloody suspect caught by Madera neighbors
- Applications for US jobless aid edge up to 304,000
- Chelsea Clinton expecting 1st child
- Texas seizes polygamist group's secluded ranch
- Supermarket savings, getting more from your store
- "X-Men" director accused of sex abuse in lawsuit
- Three WWII vets celebrate their birthdays
- Ordnance rendered safe; Solvang evacuations lifted
- Dinuba apartment manager arrested on forgery charges
- Valley cities among those where residents feel least safe
- Burglars steal firefighting tools from Forest Service
- 3 protesters killed in attack on Ukrainian base
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos