Arrests made in fatal Madera shooting involving girl, 8
MADERA, Calif. (KFSN) -- A Madera family is mourning the death of an 18-year-old, killed in the same shooting that injured a little girl. And now police say they have two possible suspects in custody.
Madera police have identified the victim of Wednesday night's homicide as Alejandro Vazquez. The shooting happened at Tulare and Wessmith. The victim's twin brother and an eight-year-old girl were injured.
Two teenagers are in custody, they're believed to be tied to the shooting, but police are still searching for the gunman.
Authorities say the eight-year-old girl is recovering after being shot in the arm, and an 18-year-old boy is okay after being shot in the foot. But his twin brother did not survive.
Rosa Vazquez gathered with friends near a memorial to grieve the death of her brother, Alejandro. The 14-year-old says she witnessed his murder.
"I just saw him over there telling them stuff, and then they got out of they started shooting," Vazquez said. "So I grabbed my friend, and we ran."
Vazquez says she returned to the area moments later and saw her brother's body in the street. She said, "Seeing him die as my brother, it's painful."
Madera police say the shooting happened hours after an argument near Enterprise Continuation School, where at least one of the people involved was a student. Commander Dino Lawson says the suspects later spotted Alejandro in a neighborhood across town.
"Suspect stopped the vehicle, exited, and a physical altercation occurred," Cmdr. Lawson said. "At some point during that physical altercation the suspect pulled out a handgun, and fired it, striking the victim twice."
The bullets also hit Alejandro's twin brother in the foot, and an innocent eight-year-old girl. An ambulance rushed her to the hospital.
Cmdr. Lawson said, "She resides in the neighborhood and was out walking with her uncle at the time, going to the store, and one of the stray bullets struck her in the arm."
Police have now arrested 18-year-old Luiz Gonzales and another teenager, who they believe are tied to the shooting. But they're still searching for the gunman. Meanwhile, Vazquez is remembering her Alejandro as a loving brother who she says tried to leave the gang lifestyle behind.
Vazquez said, "Now he's in a happy good place, and he'll always be in our hearts and we love him, and wherever he is we'll be there with him."
Police say they have strong leads on the gunman in this case, and another arrest could come soon.
murder, crimetracker, shooting, gang, madera, madera county, local, sara sandrik
- Air force chief: Malaysia jet may have turned back 10 min ago
- Parlier youth football team mourns slain coach
- DUI suspect crashes into 'We Be Sober' drivers
- Woman dies in NE Fresno officer-involved shooting
- Daylight saving time: Set clocks ahead 1 hour
- Paraglider rescued after crashing near Dunlap
- Suspected gang member nabbed in fatal Fresno shooting
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Plea deal for inmate accused of killing correctional officer 17 min ago
- Woman struck, killed by car on Hwy 180 identified
- Fresno teen with cystic fibrosis to get lung transplant 52 min ago
- Fresno gas theft caught on surveillance video
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals
- Fresno teen with cystic fibrosis to get...
57 min ago
- River Park Little League ready to play ball
3 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos